Skip to main content
Topic: Audit Bar Lines and Pickup Notes (Read 12310 times) previous topic - next topic

Audit Bar Lines and Pickup Notes

A problem with audit bar lines occurs when there are pickup notes at the beginning of a piece, and the bar lines are added/changed to wrong positions throughout.  (And even with this fixed, when there is an associated shortened measure at the end of the piece, extra unwanted rests are added.)

Rick pointed out the two solutions to this problem here http://my.noteworthysoftware.com/?topic=6119.0, but I thought there might be benefit to spelling them out in a tips and tricks item.  The examples below assume the piece is in 4/4 time with a single quarter note pickup, but other combinations can easily be supported in the same way.

Option 1:  Prepend invisible rests to pickup notes to pad first measure to full beat count, for example, add 3 hidden quarter rests before a quarter note pickup in 4/4 time.  Also optionally append invisible rests to final notes to pad last measure to full beat count, for example, add 1 hidden quarter rest after a dotted half final note in 4/4 time.

Option 2: Surround pickup notes with invisibile time signatures to effect actual beat count, for example, add a hidden 1/4 time signature before a quarter note pickup in 4/4 time, and a hidden 4/4 time signature after it.  Also optionally add an invisible time signature at the beginning of the final measure, for example, add a hidden 3/4 time signature before a dotted half final note.

Option 2 is better than option 1 in that it does not delay playback any at the start of the piece (or hold it over any at the end).  Option 1 can be better than option 2 in that it can be done in one fewer added hidden item (e.g. use a dotted half rest rather than 3 quarter rests).

Apologies in advance if I am not correct in any of the above, or if this is all already spelled out somewhere else that I did not find.

Re: Audit Bar Lines and Pickup Notes

Reply #1
The pick-up note can easily be dealt with by inserting a hidden double-bar-line after it. The trailing rests however don't succumb to this treatment.

Re: Audit Bar Lines and Pickup Notes

Reply #2
A pickup note usually requires a visible single barline after it.  If I put the extra hidden double barline after the pickup note (either before or after the single barline), the audit seems to remove the visible single barline?  Of course, if one can live with a visible double barline after the pickup note, then this solution requires no extra hidden object(s) at the beginning!

Playing with the ending measure more, I seem to find now that neither of the options above (hidden rests or hidden time signatures) work once the "extend last system" trick is used (where the "ending bar" is set to "open (hidden)" and an explicit "section close" object is added with "force system break").  Does anyone have a solution for this combination?