Skip to main content
Topic: MIDI request (Read 3344 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI request

Setting up a 12-staff piece just now, I was reminded again how nice it would be if NWC would automatically skip MIDI channel 10 when assigning channels to new staves. This would avoid confusing newbies and save a little work for all of us.

Just wishin' -

Bill

Re: MIDI request

Reply #1
User generated templates are real time savers here.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #2
User generated templates are real time savers here.
I agree, Carl. The real issue here isn't the small amount of extra work for us - it's the number of times new users complain that they're creating a bunch of new staves, and all of a sudden the music sounds funny. Then we sigh, and say (again), Well, MIDI channel 10 is reserved for percussion. Not that it's a big problem to keep saying that. But the rule of thumb is, for every written complaint, there are at least ten unwritten ones. That's a lot of people who can't figure out what's wrong and think it must be the program. They don't come to the forum, they just write NWC off as a bad investment. That's why I think it needs to be fixed.

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #3
I agree with Bill.

I also suggested to use the percussion clef when importing in NWC a MIDI file channel 10, at least for the part that would be notated in the bass clef.

Reply #4
I second (or third?) the motions.