Skip to main content
Topic: Changing color: black notes become red (Read 7545 times) previous topic - next topic

Changing color: black notes become red

Hi All,

Recently I get -after changing some notes- changing of color of a number of note heads: suddenly they have become red.
Normally the red color is only active while playing.
I have not the foggiest idea how to change them into black ones.
Maybe you?
Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Mazzltov.

Re: Changing color: black notes become red

Reply #1
If just the noteheads are red (i.e. the stems are still black), then select all the red notes (or all the notes for that matter, via select all), and edit properties, and change the notehead color property for notes to default.  If the entire notes are red, select all the red ones, and then hit "\" (backslash) 7 times (until the color seems white, but turns black/blue when unhighlighted).  You probably just hit a "\" once accidently, changing the default color (#0) to red (#1) - "\" cycles the color through 8 colors, 0 to 7 with wraparound.

Reply #2
Right click in an area to the right of the toolbars in an unused area, then click the box for "Notehead" which handles both the color and shape of the noteheads.

I've also hit the backslash by mistake.  Normally I don't need that toolbar but the first of a number of 16th notes is also a dotted half in a layered staff.  Making the shorter note a 'Blank Space' allows the hollow area of the longer note to be seen.

HTH
Since 1998

Reply #3
    Recently I get -after changing some notes- changing of color of a number of note heads: suddenly they have become red.
    I have not the foggiest idea how to change them into black ones.
    As Randy says, this is usually due to inadvertently pressing the backslash key.
    To fix this:
    • Select nothing
    • Invoke Notes->Colors->Default (Shortcut: Alt+N C D)

To restore any colored noteheads to default:
    • Select the notes (the selection may contain other objects)
    • Invoke Notation Properties (Shortcut: Ctl+E)
    • On the Notes Tab, change Colors to 'Default' (Shortcut: Alt+C Down Home)
    • Click on OK (Shortcut: Enter)

If there are still objects that are the wrong color, change them under: Visibility Properties

Given the way NWC operates, keeping 'Item Color Default' on some toolbar is important. If NWC starts adding unexpected color, the 'Item Color Default' button will indicate that NWC's default color state has changed.
    Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
    Attached is a simple user tool to restore all note and notehead colors to the default.

Reply #5
    Seems like a good use for JScript:
    Quote from: rg_ZapColor.js
    /*
      NWC2 User Tool, Ver 1.01 - Rick G.
      Purpose: remove all color from selection
      &Command: WScript Scripts\rg_ZapColor.js
    */
    var io = WScript.StdIn.ReadAll().split("\r\n");
    for (var j = 1; j < io.length; j++)
      if (/^\|[CNR]/.test(io[j]))
        io[j] = io[j].replace(/!\d/g, "");
    WScript.StdOut.Write(io.join("\r\n").replace(/\|Color:\d(?=\||$)/gm, ""));
    This will remove color from all objects, not just those with noteheads.
    Registered user since 1996