Skip to main content
Topic: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Now Available (Read 70075 times) previous topic - next topic

NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Now Available

NoteWorthy Software is pleased to announce the general availability of NoteWorthy Composer Version 2.1.

Version 2.1 features a new on-screen piano, color highlighting for noteheads, productivity enhancements in the editor, version save history via a new backup mechanism,  context information for user tools, and more.

If you are a currently licensed user of NoteWorthy Composer 2.0, you may upgrade your currently installed copy of NoteWorthy Composer 2.0 at no additional charge. From within NoteWorthy Composer 2.0, select the Access NoteworthySoftware.com command in the Help menu. You will automatically be directed to the page where you can download and install the NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 upgrade.

See also:

Re: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Now Available

Reply #1
If anyone can screw it up, I can.  I started from the release candidate rather than NWC2 itself, and ended up here
http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/download.htm where I downloaded NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Evaluation

It looks as if installing it overwrote NWC2, so now I'm stuck with the evaluation version and no apparent way to get back to NWC2 to access the correct download page. 

I guess your instructions are not idiot-proof. 

Now what? 

Reply #2
You will need to reinstall the full version of NWC 2.0, then follow the instructions to upgrade to 2.1. You can find the original installer for NWC 2.0 in your "NoteWorthy Composer 2" program files, in the Setups sub-folder.

Reply #3
Thanks, Eric.  That was quick and painless, once I located the CD.  Amazing what else was in that stack of old CD program discs - Leisure Suit Larry, Hexen, Windows Millenium, Windows 98.  It was a trip down memory lane.

If you go through the beta to release candidate to new release process again, it might be a good idea to put the path to the next release in the Access Noteworthy link in both NWC2.1 and the last release candidate preceding the next upgrade. Idiots like me need to be protected from ourselves (grin).  

Reply #4
I managed to follow the instructions quite well, reinstalled NWC2 and installed NWC2.1. I like the enhancements, though it took a while to find my way around the redesigned toolbars.  But why have I lost my playback sound? Surely a re-installation should have included MIDI device, drivers etc.  As I do a lot of arrangements, this loss of sound seriously inconveniences me.  Does Noteworthy have a help desk for things like this?   -

(Before anyone asks, I have checked volume controls both within the application and in the control panel, I do have two MIDI programs available for use, I have tried (unsuccesfully) to diagnose the problem with DriverDetective and I have uninstalled all other applications using sound devices..   And I am slowly going mad!)

Reply #5
Surely a re-installation should have included MIDI device, drivers etc.

Nope.
Noteworthy has nothing like that. It simply uses whatever windows says it's available.
Please check that you at least have the default Microsoft GS synth.

Do other MIDI players work?

Reply #6
Have you checked the MIDI tab (tools>options>MIDI) to make sure there is something listed under "Devices used by playback"...?

Access Noteworthy Software.com doesn't work in wine

Reply #7
I'm a registered NWC2 user, but I use NWC on my Mac under wine (a Windows emulator). Most things work fine, but among those that fail are the link to "Access NoteWorthy Software.com" which would allow me to upgrade to 2.1. Is there another way I can get that URL?

Thanks.

Reply #8
Hi jnothman,

I ended up installing the Windows version of Firefox in my WineBottler package and changing a registry key for the default browser to get that command to work.  I don't have time to give you the full details at the moment, but I will hopefully have some time this evening.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #9
You should be able to to fix the Wine handling for this from this registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https\shell\open

I seem to recall that I was able to point this to a system native or wine browser.

We'll also look into making an upgrade link available on the License Validation form.

Reply #10
I just discovered the even easier solution of using $ strings NWC2.exe | grep ^http

Reply #11
Considering the benefits of buying NWC 2.1:  Does the purchase price include a valid installation disk?  Or does the dowloaded activated version include a valid install file that can burned to a data disk?  Or is the purchase of the license a sort of subscription to whatever is currently available?  In short, what does the customer get for his money?   Not being critical here, I would just like to understand the deal better.  What?  I have to actually READ the agreement?  lol.  Any feedback would be welcome though.

Reply #12
G'day Steven,
first, welcome to the forum.  Now, the order page:
http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/order.htm
states:
A license for NoteWorthy Composer Version 2 can be purchased for USD $49 by registering the product with NoteWorthy Software, Inc. This product is delivered via fast online download. A License Certificate will follow by Postal Mail. The full program on CD is also available for an additional USD $10 with your original order.

Which I interpret to mean that you get an electronic copy for $49 that you can save to disk and install/reinstall from.  For an additional $10 you also get an installation CD sent to you.

I know there are extra goodies on the CD but I don't know if they are included as part of the download.  I suspect not, but I do know that at least some of them are available as a free, additional download.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #13
Hi Steven,

Welcome to the NoteWorthy community. 

Lawrie described the ordering options.  You might also like to consider the community of NoteWorthy users you'll have available for you.

Humble opinion  ...  the ideas, resources and help you'll find for this software are the finest of any music notation software anywhere. 

You have this community here in this public forum, and also in another one that's available for registered users which you'll be able to join after you get your registration.

There's also the NoteWorthy 'Scriptorium' site which has an excellent library of NoteWorthy scores, with plenty of examples showing how to get the best from the software.

Cheers,

Joe

Reply #14
Yes I know I'm ridiculously behind the game, but I've only just foiund out about this new release. Just wanted to say it's a VAST improvement!