Skip to main content
Topic: Keep accidental on tied grace on main note when audit accidentals (Read 7295 times) previous topic - next topic

Keep accidental on tied grace on main note when audit accidentals

After running "Audit accidentals", when grace notes are tied to the main note, is there a way to keep an accidental found on grace note on the note it is tied to?  Sometimes the accidentals on grace notes are hard to see.

TIA
Since 1998

Re: Keep accidental on tied grace on main note when audit accidentals

Reply #1
The built-in audit does not differentiate between grace note and standard note accidentals.

Reply #2
You might consider using a slur instead:
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace,Slur|Pos:b0|Opts:Muted
|Note|Dur:Whole,Grace,Slur|Pos:n0z|Opts:Muted|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:b0
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Or Text. Or a layer.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Normally I wouldn't be asking that, but anyone who chooses a strum on my guitar.htm page will get hidden arpeggios tied to a visible chord.  Once "Audit Accidentals" is run on that staff, the accidentals left on the hidden grace notes will not appear on the main chord.  I just uploaded graceacc.htm to put them back.  Save your file, cut the guitar staff to the clipboard, paste it to graceacc.htm, press "Click", Cntl/C, and paste back into your song.

If I could have written a user tool for this I would have, but I am far lower on the learning curve for Visual Basic and PHP than I am for javascript.

Edited change: attachment
Since 1998

Reply #4
Hi Warren - I threw this script together, so no guarantees - If you want to try it out, and if it's close to what you're looking for, I'd be happy to make some minor fixes as needed - HTH - Randy

Edit - I purposefully didn't check for ties - I'd think you'd want a repeated accidental whether tied or not, on the logic that the grace accidental was perhaps too small to be seen.

Reply #5
I checked it out, but nothing happened except I found out where the scripts and usertools.ini file were kept.  I tried it on both the whole guitar staff and just on one chord set.

This should be the process:  1) Transcribe the singer's part (words can wait till later). 2) While keeping NWC open, also go to guitar.htm to enter chords and paste the clipboard back on the guitar part.  Change the length of the created chords if necessary. 3) With the correct key signature in place, audit accidentals. 4) If the user chose strum and there are accidentals in the (hidden by default) tied grace notes that need to be on the chord itself, run a (your) user tool or my graceacc.htm site to put them back.

If you can take my previous attachment and audit accidentals on the guitar staff and then take your tool to restore the accidentals on the E's in the 2nd measure, I'll see what I was doing wrong--this is the first time I've done anything with new user tools since the beta testing started.

Thanks for looking into it.
Since 1998

Reply #6
Here's a 1/2 hour rework of Ambit.vbs that might work for you.
It handles your sample file.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
Sorry Warren - You just need to add an "&" before the "$note" on line 43.
Code: [Select · Download]
foreach ($o->Opts[$pos] as &$note) {
It was keeping the changes made for chords from being applied.

Reply #8
Rick & Randy:
Many thanks to both of you for the scripts.  After running Audit Accidentals on the attached file, both scripts put the accidentals back on the chord when needed. Of course, either one is much easier to run than my web page.

This test file has both up strums and down strums on it.
Since 1998

Reply #9
You were very wise to not take sides between PHP and VBS.  ;-)

Reply #10
You were very wise to not take sides between PHP and VBS.  ;-)
You two can fight it out <g>.

I just updated my guitar.htm page with both of them (a link to this thread).
Since 1998