Skip to main content
Topic: New group for NoteWorthy Users? (Read 9450 times) previous topic - next topic

New group for NoteWorthy Users?

In the early days of the internet, "getting on the internet" meant looking at newsgroups (or usegroups), not looking at websites.  Nowadays, my ISP does not offer any access to newsgroups, I have to go through Google Groups to see discussions on a couple of music related topics and my text editor.

At one time I enjoyed playing, studying, and learning from attachments made to posts from people like Fred and Tina et al but have not been able to get on the newsgroups for NWC in years.  Are there any groups for NWC on something like facebook or twitter?  I have tried to get on the NWC group on many occasions (have the install disk), but nothing happens.

TIA
Since 1998

Re: New group for NoteWorthy Users?

Reply #1
I have a similar problem. How about a yahoo group?

Carl
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #2
Warren,
 I can't actually answer the question you asked because I don't know. But are you sure that you can't get onto the NoteWorthy newsgroup?

I don't have newsgroups through my ISP as such (or at least I don't think I do). Noteworthy is the only newsgroup I'm interested in - and the only one I've got.

In my case, I do not use Outlook (or it's replacement but use Forte Agent - But I'm sure there are quite a number of newsgroup readers out there that you could try.

Then it's a matter of going to the NoteWorthy newsgroup sign up on the NoteWorthy site - Newsgroup Signup

Some people have had problems getting this up and running, mainly because it's a password protected newsgroup, but the instructions are on the pages given above.

Good luck.  Hope to see you there.
Rich.

Reply #3
It would be most unusual (and unfriendly) if your ISP blocked all Newsgroup (NNTP Port:119) access. Some do not have a newsgroup server, but that shouldn't restrict access to NoteWorthy's server (news.noteworthysoftware.com).

OutLook Express works fine for casual news use. If you spend several hours a day reading newsgroups, you may need something more sophisticated.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
I've tried to get on, but to no avail. I was told it needed a username and password and I entered what I had been provided and said I wanted that information remembered on this system.  All that happened when I pressed ENTER was the same login screen.

--deleted stuff about new group--
--- Since no one else has had this problem, I'll see what my ISP can tell me about it. ---
Since 1998

Reply #6
G'day Warren,
there's a bunch of us have been using the newsgroup for years without problem.  Could there have been some error in the details you used?  Perhaps a case issue or typo?

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
Noteworthy always used to have it's own NNTP server and host newsgroups there.  I agree it was far better than a WWW based forum, but sadly I seem to be in a minority :-(

Reply #8
The newsgroups are still around.  I thought they were dead since the information is difficult to find on Noteworthy's site (there's no mention of it, and a site search didn't find it).

To access the NNTP server, fill in the form at https (note not http) www DOT noteworthysoftware DOT com SLASH newsgroup SLASH signup.php, you will then be given the information about how to access the server.

Sorry I can't post a real link, but I can't "upgrade" my account on the forum so I'm forced to use the above tortuous method...

Best,

-Nigel

Reply #9
I got out my install CD of 1.75a and got an an accessname and password, but when I went to that website (or news server) it kept asking me for the accessname and password w/o making any progress.  Thanks for trying.
Since 1998