Skip to main content
Topic: simultaneous different time signatures (Read 4309 times) previous topic - next topic

simultaneous different time signatures

Can anyone help with this, please?  In a version of the Sussex Carol there are places in the score where there's a different time sig. on the S/A stave (3/4) to that on the T/B stave (9/8) directly beneath it.  On the printed score the bar lines are aligned vertically.  Is it possible to make this happen in Noteworthy?  Try as I might, I've failed miserably.  It doesn't seem logically possible, but if anyone knows a way of doing it, I'd be very grateful.
Thanks,
Mike.

Re: simultaneous different time signatures

Reply #1
You are correct. NWC does not currently support the alignment of compound time signatures over/under simple time signatures across multiple parts/staves.

Reply #2
Many thanks for your confirmation.
Mike.

Reply #3
You can, however, fake it easily. See the attached example. The invisible time signature prevents problems from developing on barline audits. It is also possible to move the invisible rests off the page instead of setting their visibility to "never," but this way you can see what I'm doing. You will need to mute the 3/4 notes and use a hidden playback staff if it is important to have the sound as well as the printed score correct.

Hope this helps -

Bill

Reply #4
NWC does not currently support the alignment of compound time signatures over/under simple time signatures across multiple parts/staves.
I'm not sure that it ever should.
NWC2 would be a lot friendlier if the options for 'Tie Direction:' were:
  • Upward
  • Downward
  • Hidden
or if an option, 'Tie Style:' consisting of:
  • Dashed
  • Hidden
was added.

Music literature is replete with examples of measures of 6/8, 9/8 and 12/8 where the notes are presented as though the TimeSig was 2/4, 3/4 or 4/4 (and vice versa). All this could be done rather easily if ties could be hidden.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
I thoroughly agree with Rick's post; of the two methods he suggests, I prefer the second.

Another way to fix the problem that launched this thread would be to allow the dots on dotted notes to be hidden. Hidden ties would be more flexible, though. Perhaps it would be good to have both hidden dots and hidden ties available.

Bill

Reply #6
You might want to look at this user tip that includes making 9/8 look like it's 3/4.
Since 1998

Reply #7
I thoroughly agree with Rick's post; of the two methods he suggests, I prefer the second.

<snip> Perhaps it would be good to have both hidden dots and hidden ties available.

I concur.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.