Skip to main content
Topic: Solo notation in measures / / / / like slash marks (Read 5150 times) previous topic - next topic

Solo notation in measures / / / / like slash marks

How do I indicate solo slash marks within measures

Re: Solo notation in measures / / / / like slash marks

Reply #1
Add a whole rest to the measure and set it to display never, then place the comp marks as a text string. be sure to check the preserve width box on the expression tab.

regards
keith
Illigitimi Non Carborundum

Reply #2
G'day jazz1nc2,
I used to use Keith's method but found I would often get spacing problems - these days I use visible crotchet (quarter) rests and place a slash centre justified at next note/bar in front of each rest.  This gets the spacing right but, of course, the rests are still visible so I then "move" the rests off the page with a GlobalMod user tool command:
Rest Opts.VertOffset=2000
DO NOT simply hide the rests as this often gives inconsistent spacing for the slashes.

<edit> I also use this method on the "lyric staff" that I use to layer with instrumental parts when I'm arranging for my church band.  This staff has all kinds of things on it including tempo markings, common text, lyrics (of course) and text chords.  Quite often it is necessary to attach a text chord to a rest on this staff - if the rest is hidden then the horizontal spacing is often compromised - by leaving the rest visible but moved off the page I can maintain horizontal spacing integrity and still have the rest "invisible".
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Evening All;
     Which is why Lawrie is the virtuoso and I am just a plain NWC2 User. I bow to his knowledge on this one. His solution is both elegant, producing a cleaner, more readable score, and very simple. This one definitely goes into my folder of tricks to remember.

Regards
Keith
Illigitimi Non Carborundum