Skip to main content
Topic: Windows 7 (Read 4303 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows 7

I am moving to a new PC.  Does anyone have any experience with this such as where to park the nwc files, any reason to install 1.75, etc?

TIA
Since 1998

Re: Windows 7

Reply #1
When I last changed PCs (Laptops actually), what I did was :

Spend time putting together a spreadsheet of all of the programs that I regularly use. In that spreadsheet would be where to find the install program (ie on disk, in a download directory, in an archive etc). Also where the licence info was.

For the downloaded programs, I saved all the ones I wanted to install on the new PC to a directory and added a text file of the licence info. (Quite often this is in an email or a bit of paper, which is not available at the point when you are re-installing and so a text file is very useful). It is worthwhile at this point checking that there is not an updated version of the downloaded program, if so replace your save copy with the update)

Finally I bought a disc caddy so that I could take the hard disk out of the old machine, put it in the disc caddy and then use it as an external data drive.  Of course I now had easy access to all of the data from the old machine as a plug in drive on the new machine. (You can get disc caddys for Laptop drives, IDE full size drives and the newer SATA drives)

So your question about NWC files is no longer an issue since you simply copy the files over once you have installed NWC2.
You might want to take this opportunity to put the NWC music files in a specific data area on your new machine so that if you start a backup regime, you can always backup a specific area for data on your new machine.

The area where NWC installs its data (music files) is not by default, an area where you are backing up just data (as opposed to non changing program executables). But you can point nwc to a data area to retrieve the files rather than its default install directory.

Finally, your question about the need for NWC version 1.xx.

I would suggest that you only need to install this if you have need to pass version 1 files to other people with only version 1 Noteworthy.
The free viewer reads version 2 and so you should, I would suggest, only need version 1 for any musical colleagues who have not upgraded to version2.  Even so, Version 2 will save as version 1 - but having said that some things will not revert and so you may want version 1.xx to see what is lost and what the version 1.xx file looks and prints like.

If you do not pass files to others, then I'm not sure that I can think of a reason why you would need (note the use of need rather than want) to install the old version.
Rich.