Skip to main content
Topic: !NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single) copy and paste error? (Read 13066 times) previous topic - next topic

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single) copy and paste error?

Has something changed within the past few months in the copy/paste function of NWC2?

When I copy a clip from this forum into NWC2 I often get just
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)

Today I got this in the Find "By expression" window when I tried to copy a dozen hidden rest bars with the MBR text as well.

My computer needs a bit of a tuneup, but before I start trying to de-engineer my system, I thought I'd see if others have experienced the same copy/paste error.

Re: !NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single) copy and paste error?

Reply #1
Hi David -

I assume MBR means multibar rest, so we're talking about a text object and a bunch of hidden rests. Shouldn't be a problem....but it is, on my XP machine as well. So is a dynamic plus the note next to it, or a dynamic plus a time sig, or even just a note plus a barline. I begin to suspect that the "find by expression" field won't accept more than one type of object in a single search expression.

Dunno if that's a change or not. Probably not. To the best of my knowledge there has been no change at all in NWC2 since its release (except whatever Eric might be working on at home that he hasn't revealed to us yet). I don't believe the program updates itself automatically, anyway - we would have had to manually download a change for it to occur, and I'm pretty sure I haven't. So this is most likely something that's been there all along and we just haven't noticed. Best guess is that adding the second object type causes the copy function to throw in a line feed, and the "find by expression" field can't handle that. But that's only a guess.

HTH -

Bill

Reply #2
Hmm,
I think I may be able to explain this...

When you select a single object and copy and paste it into, say, Notepad, you get something like this:
Code: [Select · Download]
|Rest|Dur:Whole|Opts:Stem=Down|Color:0|Visibility:Default

When you copy and paste multiple objects you get something like this:
|Bar
|Rest|Dur:Whole|Opts:Stem=Down
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Note the differences:
The second ADDS 2 lines:
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

And removes some detail (defaults information) from (in this case) the Rest line (it was the same rest in both cases):
|Rest|Dur:Whole|Opts:Stem=Down|Color:0|Visibility:Default

The find by expression field is a single line - you cannot paste multiple objects into it because each object takes up its own line, terminated with a CRLF (Carriage Return Line Feed).  The reason you get "!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)" instead of the first object in your selection is because NWC adds that as a header when you copy multiple objects.  AFAIK it's always done this.

What I'm not sure about is why you would get this with clips from the forum unless you're putting them in the "Find" box too.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Thanks Bill and Lawrie

The CR makes sense related to the Find issue.

I'm not sure why I have the problem copying from the forum to a staff in an open song file.  Sometimes I have that problem with Paste as New File too. I have occasionally found it difficult to highlight the entire clip in the forum window, because it can be hard to capture the opening exclamation mark.  Finicky.  Maybe I'm just remembering those incidents, rather than more. 

Anyway, I understand the problem with the Find thing now, and I'm grateful to you both.

Reply #4
I have occasionally found it difficult to highlight the entire clip in the forum window, because it can be hard to capture the opening exclamation mark.
It is easier if you enclose the clip text with quote or code tags. With some browsers, a triple click will select it.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
It is easier if you enclose the clip text with quote or code tags

Yes, if those who post clips would do that, it would probably make it easier on those of us who do copy them to see what the writer is discussing.  Thanks for the suggestion, Rick.

I finished this reply, then went to the next message, Seserine's comment regarding Audit Note Stems.  I highlighted the clip, copied it, went to NWC2 and pasted it in as a new file.  Got |Text|Text:"NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)"|Font:StaffBold|Pos:8|Wide:Y|Justify:Left|Placement:BestFit|Color:0|Visibility:Default

I then went back to his message, and found everything in clip was highlighted except the exclamation mark.  The exclamation mark is very thin and easy to miss.  I was sure that I had highlighted it, yet here it was, not highlighted, and obviously not copied.  Sigh!

Maybe the answer is to tweak the format of the forum windows so that every message box has a left margin of maybe 3 or 4 pixels.

Reply #6
G'day David,
I've had the same problem more than once.  Perhaps if the default font size for the code boxes was increased to match the normal page font size.  Larger characters would be easier to highlight correctly.  Shame the triple click trick doesn't seem to work in Firefox, and select all gets the entire page...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
Don't try to click on the tiny area between the start of the quote/code box and the opening exclamation point.

Instead, click on the line above the box and anywhere to the right of Code: or Quote: from <author> on <date>
That area is much larger and easier to hit.  It puts an initial newline into the clip, but NWC2 doesn't care.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #8
If I understand the problem correctly, I'm not having that problem with NWC, but have had it with other applications.  Instead of trying to grab text from left-to-right (or top-to-bottom), it sometimes works better to grab it right-to-left (or bottom-to-top), since it gives you a bigger starting target point (and sometimes a bigger ending target point as well).

Reply #9
I usually use purdue's solution. The space at the end of the last line is almost always big enough to hit easily. However, I plan to try Rick's, which I hadn't thought of and which might work even better.

And by the way, Lawrie, thanks for both confirming my hunch about the CRLF and explaining it in a much more cogent manner.

Cheers, Bill

Reply #10
I usually sweep the mouse from bottom-right to left-top, and end with the exclamation point.  Or it always looks like that where's I end.  So that's not my solution.  I will try Rick's suggestion.  Thanks, folks!