Skip to main content
Topic: How to open and view NWC files.? (Read 20458 times) previous topic - next topic

How to open and view NWC files.?

Okay, so earlier today I was browsing through some Ben Folds sheet music downloads and found a few files I really wanted to open and print. Unluckily for me, they're in NWC format with is something Noteworthy Composer or the like.
So I browsed on over to their site, and downloaded their software and proceeded to open the files only to be greeted with a hardy "Unregistered files are not supported" message. Can someone offer some help??

Re: How to open and view NWC files.?

Reply #1
You downloaded the 30-day evaluation version of the software.  As you can see from the description of this version at the download link,

NoteWorthy Composer 2.0 can be downloaded for a 30 day evaluation by clicking on the link below. This special evaluation version of the program allows you to try out almost all of the features of the program, including printing and saving your own files. However, it does impose limits on the number of times you can save your own work, and limits your access to files created by licensed users.

If all you want to do is open and print the files, I would suggest downloading the NoteWorthy Viewer instead.  It's free, but you can't edit the file.  You can view it, play it, and print it.  You can get the viewer at this link.

You can also purchase the program for $49, which gives you full editing access for all NWC files.  You can find the purchase link here.

Hope that helped!
John

Reply #2
Thanks, but when I downloaded NoteWorthy Viewer and tried open it, viewer wrote me "unregistered files not supported" )O:
Pls help...

Reply #3
Can you post a link to one of the problem files please?  I want to check something before I geve the answer I have in mind...

Thanks.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
Thanks, got the file.

I thought this would be the case but I wanted to maje sure.  When a song file is saved by an unregistered version of NWC it can only be re-opened by a registered version of NWC.

The unregistered version can only save any song file up to 10 (IIRC) times.

The viewer is obviously designed to NOT open files from unregistered versions at all.

This is one of the deliberate limitations of the unregistered version.

Reply #6
So, then I purchase NWComposer, I'll can open all .nwc files, also unregistered files?
Thanks...

Reply #7
One thing, I'm not sure any of these files have anything to do with Ben Folds...  Or at least, not the one I'm thinking of.

Reply #8
I don't know,  because i can't open this files, though thanks....

Reply #9
Try it in the viewer now to see if this is what you are looking for...

I just resaved the files.  If you are interested in notation, you can't beat Noteworthy Composer for price vs. performance and ease of use and power and extensibility and...

http://www.freewebs.com/jefmusic/Transfer/Ben_Folds.rar
John

Reply #10
How do I open .rar?  Do I just save it and rename it or does something else reformat it?
Since 1998

Reply #12
7-zip is free and can open RAR files, but can't create them.

If you want to create RAR files, then you need to purchase WinRAR (I believe there is a trial version you can try).  But to just uncompress the RAR file, 7-zip works great.

John

Reply #13
7-zip is free and can open RAR files, but can't create them.
I can't imagine why anyone would want to create a rar file. At best, rar can sometimes improve on zip compression by a few %. Back in the "sneakernet" era, there was a need to compress a file set to fit on a floppy disk. The era is long dead. Let rar R.I.P. alongside lzh compression.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #14
The original file from the user was in RAR format, so I reposted in RAR format.  I could have posted in any of several formats.  I was trying to be consistent.  Not a bad thing in my book.

And I would say that if files downloaded on the web are still in RAR format, the only way to bring those "long dead" files back to life is to have a utility that understands that format.  7-zip does.
John

Reply #15
Just as a side note, there is usually not much reason to compress a *.nwc file further, as they are typically already compressed with ZLIB compression. There are better compression schemes, but the benefit is not really all that much given the typical size of *.nwc files. If you must, 7-zip offers very good alternate compression.

Reply #16
Actually, I think the benefit (as it pertains to NWC files) is not so much in actually compressing the NWC files (since they already are), but in consolidating them into a single file.  That way, you can group multiple files together (in a RAR or ZIP or whatever format), so you don't have to download a bunch of individual files.
John