Skip to main content
Topic: Spacing questions from newbie (Read 2570 times) previous topic - next topic

Spacing questions from newbie

Hi,
I'm a brand new user. The reason I got this software is to create readable versions of old poor photocopies of service responses and hymns where the source is no longer available. These are thus 4 piano/organ lines of music with 1 or more lines of text.

I first tried the piano template, then the SATB template and finally found that just creating my own staves worked the best.

There are some bars where the notes don't properly align based on the beats. Also in some bars there is extra space between the notes and I didn't put it there. (I did find the "alt-enter" and have used that to adjust a note here or there.) Is there a way to remove extra space?

Also I have a measure where, if I put in the bar lines, the treble and bass clefs are completely out of alignment by at least two beats. Ideas?

If there is a better way to approach this project (developing readable versions of old hymns and service music), any suggestions are cheerfully accepted.

I can send my file to anyone who wants to see it.
Thanks.

Re: Spacing questions from newbie

Reply #1
Bar lines don't line up when there is a different count in the different measures that are stacked on each other. You can use the Audit Bar Lines tool to find where the measure does not match the time signature.

You can send your file to support. If you send your *.nwc file as an e-mail attachment, we can review it and e-mail our impressions back to you.

Reply #2
You can stretch bars out by using Insert Text in between notes, but just enter spaces with the spacebar.

Reply #3
You can stretch bars out by using Insert Text in between notes, but just enter spaces with the spacebar.

If you only want three or four bars of reasonably balanced lengths on a line, you can stretch them out to fit the width of the line by changing the bar line property to "force system break."