Skip to main content
Topic: More flow control problems (Read 5135 times) previous topic - next topic

More flow control problems

I've done two versions of this piece. The one for piano works well. This one for horn quartet doesn't, and I can't find the problem.

[glow=red,2,300]HELP?[/glow]
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Re: More flow control problems

Reply #1
Carl,

Second time measures do not play after DS / DC instructions.

What you need to do is to change the 2nd time ending bars to 2nd time and also D (for default) and I think all will be OK then, but you will need to change the repeat that the coda is in. You will need to put a first / second time bar or else it will repreat for ever (I think)

Rich.

Reply #2
Rich,

Thanks. That fixed it.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press

Reply #3
change the 2nd time ending bars to 2nd time and also D (for default) and

The D is fine for those who are only interested in writing charts for playback, but since it isn't found in print music, wouldn't it be nice to be able to make it non-printing?

Reply #4
Yes, it would. I don't like to have to tell the players that there is a mark in the music that they should ignore. It sets a bad precedent.

The Blue Diamond Polka was played for the first time Tuesday evening by the Spokane Horn Club. They really liked it, unlike some of my better music, and want a copy for their library, and they plan to play it again next week.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press

Reply #5
I don't like to have to tell the players that there is a mark in the music that they should ignore.
ditto. IMO, NoteWorthy would be improved if the D. was never shown in Print Preview and subsequent output.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #6
I concur
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
Agreed. You can cover it with digital whiteout, but you shouldn't need to.

Reply #8
David actually asked for precisely this back in 2004, so don't hold your breath!

Reply #9
You can cover it with digital whiteout, but you shouldn't need to.
I find Special Endings to be one of the most difficult objects to position whiteout on. If anyone has a surefire method to do this, let me know.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #10
Agree. For me, digital whiteout is always a last resort anyway. But we aren't provided with an alternative in this case.

Reply #11
For those times when it really matters, I set my special endings to Print|Never and then construct my own from characters in SwingText (or *Text anyhow).

The real advantage with this is you can easily extend the line to reach the full length of the ending instead of just the first bar.  You are also not dependant on the vertical size of the staff to control the vertical position of the line.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.