Skip to main content
Topic: VST Instruments and Effects (Read 5549 times) previous topic - next topic

VST Instruments and Effects

I've used Noteworthy Composer for years now and its so ridiculously intuitive compared to much more expensive software, however, VST support seems to be a difficult feat for most. I use several hundred gigabytes worth of samplers (Kontakt 2, with third party libraries mainly) and I find that I have to route Noteworthy through so much hoopla just to create a workspace. I find I am spending less time actually composing and more time organizing the midi yoke ins/outs and VST Host/VSTi/Effects settings. I should note that when one is not using external effects (post synth), it is actually quite manageable. However, if you plan to create anything using distorted guitars or others that require effects for a decent or realistic sound, you are pretty much out of luck with Noteworthy Composer. For this reason, I think Noteworthy has to come out as a VST host with the ability to route effects. All the other midi score editors on expensive VST Hosts are really bad, you have to CLICK notes in! With the Mouse!!?!?! What the hell is that!?!? Ugh... I'm getting of the path I was following.

Anyways, if anyone knows of a way to easily route effects to VST instrument standalone applications with noteworthy or knows of a VST host with a midi editor that you can type the notes in like in NWC, please let me know. I'm at my wits end. I've spent TONS of money and can't find a solution! I've been writing for 10 years now with NWC, there has to be a better way :(

Re: VST Instruments and Effects

Reply #1
I find that I have to route Noteworthy through so much hoopla just to create a workspace. I find I am spending less time actually composing and more time organizing the midi yoke ins/outs and VST Host/VSTi/Effects settings.
NoteWorthy routing is simple.

You make all* your: Devices used by playback:
  • Out to MIDI Yoke: 1
  • Out to MIDI Yoke: 2
  • Out to MIDI Yoke: 3
Then choose which device you want a staff to use.
All the complexity is due to the host that is handling the actual sound generation from those MIDI Yokes.

If NoteWorthy were to be modified to become a VST Host, it would have to incorporate all that complexity into it, and would quickly cease to be "so ridiculously intuitive compared to much more expensive software."

* unless you have been able to overcome latency better than I have.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
I very much so understand how to do it. I apologize, when I said I waste so much time creating a workspace, I didn't mean I was "figuring it out." Its very clear how to route everything, that's not the problem. There's just so much of it that you have to do. The perfect solution would be Cubase VST with Noteworthy's Score Editor instead of Cubase's Score Editor. This way you could freeze your tracks (you wouldn't have to deal with the instruments after you set them up initially), and you would be able to write with the noteworthy editor. I guess what I need is a score editor that you can "type" notes in instead of "clicking" notes in, and obviously one that can handle vst instruments AND EFFECTS plugins. FInale is close but it doesn't accept third party plugins other than GPO which sucks.

Reply #4
You won't see it unless you have installed a virtual midi cable / driver such as loopbe1 from http://www.nerds.de or midiyoke.

But if you really want to see an example of it installed, see attached.

Rich.