Skip to main content
Topic: Minor bug report  (Read 4286 times) previous topic - next topic

Minor bug report

Minor bug report -

If you insert a clef sign between members of a half-note triplet, the triplet is destroyed. 

Re: Minor bug report: Clefs break triplets and beams

Reply #1
Agreed

Not so minor bug report: Clefs break beams.
Major headache: Clef visibility is inherited by the system clef.
IMO, visibility of the system clef should either be under user control or set by the visibility of the initial clef in a staff.

I know of no dedicated posters here that play the bassoon or cello. Lawrie is the only trombone player.
I suspect that many potential users have moved on to more expensive or complicated software, in part due to NWC's weak handling of clefs.

Clef changes are one of the first things I look for when deciding if I want to use NoteWorthy or LilyPond.

Observation 1: BarLines, Special Endings and TimeSigs are the only objects that should break triplets.
Observation 2: No object should break a beam unless its duration is >= a quarter note.
Registered user since 1996

Re: Minor bug report

Reply #2
I know of no dedicated posters here that play the bassoon or cello. Lawrie is the only trombone player.

French horn also moves between clefs.

Reply #3
Viola, too.  I don't play viola, but I write for it.

Reply #4
And there's plenty of pianists about!

I can't get too worked up about clefs breaking triplets; that's pretty esoteric in real life, but there's no excuse for printing a clef change at full size; that's just plain sloppy.

Reply #5
And there's plenty of pianists about!
Perhaps they will all join us in wishing for better clef handling.

I can't get too worked up about clefs breaking triplets; that's pretty esoteric in real life
Clefs in beamed notes are not so esoteric.

Alfred Publishing's setting of Debussy's Le petit Nègre, measures 68-69:
<Image Link>

there's no excuse for printing a clef change at full size
Agreed, but just making them the right size won't solve the whole problem. Sometimes they need to be positioned more precisely than NWC will ever be able to do automatically. You really need to be able to hide them without affecting the visibility of systemic clefs. Then you can use a text clef and position it properly.
Registered user since 1996