Skip to main content
Topic: Kind off topic... (Read 6055 times) previous topic - next topic

Kind off topic...

...but does anyone know any good soundfonts for windows vista?

Re: Kind off topic...

Reply #1
Well not really off topic since you may very well want to use soundfonts with NoteWorthy - and many do.

However, you seem to be implying that soundfonts are specific to the operating system. Soundfonts can by used under XP, Vista etc. What is important is the soundcard's ability to use a soundfont and the soundcard's ability to run under the Vista operating system. (ie has the soundcard manufacturer created Vista drivers for the soundcard.

As long as that's a yes, then you can just do a google search for soundfonts. There are plenty out there. If you are still wanting to know good sound fonts, then you should say for what - general midi range or a specific instrument.

Hope this helps
Rich.

Reply #2
well i'm not really looking for singular soundfonts so i guess i should have been more clear. on my XP i had added 2 whole sets of sound fonts, one from yamaha which i simply downloaded, and one from creative, which reqired me to install an actuall physical soundcard. unfortunatley my XP exploded and has gone to the great radioshack in the sky. What i am truly looking for a set of sounfonts, in a format similar to the yahmaha, which only requires software.

Reply #3
The Yamaha soundfont is quite difficult to get hold of now. They do not produce it anymore - But, as an alternative, you might want to try synthfont. Synthfont allows you load and run any soundfont without having the appropriate soundcard. It is purely software driven.
Some people have had good results using this although you need to get the latency settings correct.

Synthfont can be found at http://www.synthfont.com/

You will need a virtual midi cable to get it to work with NoteWorthy -.
Rich.

Reply #4
What i am truly looking for a set of sounfonts, in a format similar to the yahmaha, which only requires software.

I think you're making a little confusion between the soundfont and the synthetiser.
Once you have a synthetiser supporting soundfonts, it doesn't matter if via HW or SW, you can use all the soundfonts you prefer: Yamaha, Creative or whatever (provided they are in a standard file format, that is).

What I think you're asking for is a software synthetiser and Richard already answered that.

Reply #5
And Lawrie has confirmed that his fave and mine, the Yamaha Y-SXG 50 software synth, does not work in Vista.  :(

Reply #6
I understand it, I don't work on Vista either ;-)

Reply #7
my deepest wish is that i could simply get the Y-SXG 50 to work on vista, all you needed to do to use it was use it as playback device. does anyone of any synthesizer/soundfont bank/what ever, that all i have to do is swich it to my playback device. more stuff about custom soundfonts and dowlonding sound banks is way beyond me

Reply #8
A search on NWC forum for "Vista" turns up many a tale of woe.  If anyone could get the Yamaha S-YXG softsynth to work in Vista, Lawrie Pardy could, but alas, even he found no way.  Some folks who post here have had success getting Vista to use other synths besides the GS wavetable synth and perhaps they will respond here.

Reply #9
Should the title not read "Kind of off topic..."  ?

Reply #10
Quote from: Rob den Heijer
Should the title not read "Kind of off topic..."  ?

Yes, unless the off topic is being very, very nice to you....

Cheers, Bill

Reply #11
I am now kind of off balance by your wit.