Skip to main content
Topic: Possible to have bar lines enter automatically when writing on multiple staves? (Read 3842 times) previous topic - next topic

Possible to have bar lines enter automatically when writing on multiple staves?

I'm arranging SATB music on 4 staves.  Is it possible to have the bar lines entered automatically on staves 2, 3, and 4 once I enter them (and the notes) on staff 1?  Or do I have to repeat the tabbing process all the way across for all four parts?  Thanks.

Re: Possible to have bar lines enter automatically when writing on multiple staves?

Reply #1
G'day Wal,
yes and no...  The barlines won't automatically appear as you enter your notes (and I for one definitely prefer this - forcing time sig. adherence is one of my pet hates in other notation products) however, if you perform a |Tools|audit Bar Lines| on each staff it will enter them for you.  It won't catch decorated ones but that's not a big deal.

The only real problem with this is if you have an anacrucis (pickup) in which case it is best to pad the anacrucis bar with leading rests to make up the time.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: Possible to have bar lines enter automatically when writing on multiple staves?

Reply #2
I don't like the automatic bar lines, because if you have a mistake in a bar, the program will subdivide the following bars, turning ordinary notes into two notes, tied over a bar line. 

I like to tab as I go (preferring keyboard, it's really no effort for me).  Then if there is a note value mistake, the bar lines following the mistake won't align vertically with bar lines on other staffs.  Great automatic error detector.

Reply #3
I don't like the automatic bar lines, because if you have a mistake in a bar, the program will subdivide the following bars, turning ordinary notes into two notes, tied over a bar line. 

I agree, but the question was "can it do it".  Anyhow, <Ctrl-Z> is your friend.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Or Alt-Backspace. Hey, two friends for the price of one.

Reply #5
Is it possible to have the bar lines entered automatically on staves 2, 3, and 4 once I enter them (and the notes) on staff 1?

One other drawback to this is that often you enter the notes of a bar and then go back over them to modify them, i.e., when you make triplets.  If you have a common time bar with a half note followed by triplet quarter notes, you'd have an automatic bar line appear that would then have to be moved to the correct position.  Perhaps that would be automatic, perhaps not.  Imagine entering 4 groups of triplet sixteenth notes in a bar in the last part in your score.  The position of the bar line would have to be recalculated each time you tripletized one of the groups.