Skip to main content
Topic: Piano introduction to choral work (Read 2718 times) previous topic - next topic

Piano introduction to choral work

Hi everyone

I tend to use NWC2 for choral works accompanied by piano. I like to have SATB each on their own staves with 2 more staves for the accompanying piano parts.

However, if a choral work has a piano introduction I currently have to have blank SATB staves above the piano intro, and this uses up a whole lot of paper, depending on the length of the intro (imagine Zadok the Priest!)

Is there an NWC tip/trick which would allow the choral staves to be added in later when needed, thus only printing the piano intro at the start and not the blank staves above?

Hope i have explained this correctly!

Thanks for your help

Andy

Re: Piano introduction to choral work

Reply #1
Welcome to the NoteWorthy Community!

To answer your question: no.  We have long wished for the ability to hide unused staves in situations like you described.  The only workaround I can think of is to create separate NWC files where unused staves would either be hidden or simply wouldn't exist.

Along the same lines would be the ability to layer or unlayer staves for something less than the whole piece, e.g., four staves would be needed for a SATB fugue but only two for a chorale.
Since 1998

Reply #2
You can make two scores, one with intro for accompanist, and one for SATB but use a text input with -- 8 --  or -- 16 -- or however many bars at  the beginning to indicate intro. Use something like Boxmarks Font to find suitable symbols. Just remember the bar numbers then have to be entered manually as text because they wont match up.

Reply #3
You can easily match the bar numbers by using the correct number of whole note rests with barlines between them, and then setting visibility for those objects to never.  The text entry can be automatically generated using Kjeld Hansen's wonderful MultibarRest user tool...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.