Skip to main content
Topic: Layering secret? (Read 4743 times) previous topic - next topic

Layering secret?

Hi group.

I tried looking up a few search keyword combinations that included "layering," but got nothing about the following.

I'm trying to layer a soprano line with an alto and a tenor with a bass. After clicking on "Layer with next staff" under the Visual tab in the Properties dialog, the two staffs still show separately. Is there some other condition that has to be met before layering happens?  NWC2, by the way.

Thanks,
Chuck

Re: Layering secret?

Reply #2
I've been working on a piece for my aunt based on combining Ada's March (by Jean Richards) and 17 msrs written by a friend of hers.

I've had to learn layering, visibiity, text alignment/placement, and 'extra note spacing' - it's really exciting to see it all together when you select 'Allow Layering'.  I even have the text for the chords (e.g. Fmaj7) on a separate layer!

I'm stoked - or maybe I'm easily amused ;)

Now if only I can figure out what she means by:
The left hand I think might be easier if you do it like Ada's March, but of course they would be quarters using an 'oompa' rythm - then if you could chord the right hand notes (if possible) but here agian, maybe you can jus use a chord to go with the basic beats and not do a chord for each and every eight or sixteenth notes.  I know what I mean, but I don't know if it is coming out that way on paper. 

Nothing like a challenge to stretch your abilities!

Editted to remove the confusing sic.

Reply #3
Now if only I can figure out what she means by [sic]:

"Sic" means "as written."  It's usually used when you're copying words someone else has written, and she or he made a mistake.  If you correct the mistake, then you're not truly copying what that person wrote, but if you don't correct it, whoever reads your copy will think you're a dummy.  So you show that you recognize the mistake but choose not to fix it by using (sic) right after it.

Wikipedia even has an article on the expression:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic

Reply #5
Hi group.
I tried looking up a few search keyword combinations that included "layering," but got nothing about the following.
Welcome to the forum. One of its oddities is that the big grey search button at the top, doesn't search the forum very well. A much better search is done with the blue tab located slightly down and to the left of it.

It is on a line: HOME  HELP  SEARCH  PROFILE  ...  LOGOUT
Registered user since 1996

Reply #6
I'm having the same problem.  I click "allow layering" in the "view" menu and the staff (no matter which one) jump to layering with the first staff, not the next staff.  Any ideas or comments as to how to get this feature to operate?

Reply #7
I click "allow layering" in the "view" menu and the staff (no matter which one) jump to layering with the first staff, not the next staff.
If you don't want the top staff to layer with the next staff, click on the top staff, press F2, and on the Visual tab, uncheck: 'Layer with next staff'.

Visual Staff Properties has the details.
Registered user since 1996