Skip to main content
Topic: Chords Stem Direction (Read 4486 times) previous topic - next topic

Chords Stem Direction

I had a measure on a very old piece which may have been created in V1. I just opened it in V2 and wanted to change the stem direction. It seems to be impossible. If I copy the measure into a text editor and change the "Down" to "Up" and paste it back and it turns into text. And I can't seem to create it from scratch with the stem either way. I hate to use layering for only one measure.
This one has the wrong stem direction:
Code: [Select · Download]
|Chord|Dur:Half,Dotted,Slur|Pos:-3o|Opts:Stem=Down,ArticulationsOnStem|Dur2:Whole|Pos2:-2o^|Color:0|Visibility:Default
This one seems to paste as text:
|Chord|Dur:Half,Dotted,Slur|Pos:-3o|Opts:Stem=Up,ArticulationsOnStem|Dur2:Whole|Pos2:-2o^|Color:0|Visibility:Default

Re: Chords Stem Direction

Reply #1
This might be what you want.
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Chord|Dur:Half,Dotted,Slur|Pos:-2^|Opts:Stem=Up,Tie=Downward|Dur2:Whole|Pos2:-3
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
G'day Fathafluff,
took me a moment, but I figured out why you're getting text on your second clip:
in NWC, you cannot have a chord where the lower voice has an upward stem direction and the upper voice has a downward stem direction.

Thus the semibreve cannot be on the G and have stem down while the dotted minim is on the F with stem up...  That particular construct requires layering.

If you look, Rick's solution puts the dotted minim on the G and the semibreve on the F - reversing them to your first example.  You couldn't enter it the way you want 'cos split duration chords require split stem directions, with the lower note pointing down.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Thanks. As noted, Rick's solution reverses the note pitches and positions. I was already layering an Alto part, so I came up with this: Layer 1:
|Chord|Dur:Half,Dotted,Slur|Pos:-3|Opts:Stem=Down,StemLength=0,ArticulationsOnStem|Dur2:Whole|Pos2:-2^
|Note|Dur:4th,Slur|Pos:-4^|Opts:Stem=Up
|Bar
|TempoVariance|Style:Fermata|Pause:0|Pos:9|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Chord|Dur:Whole|Pos:-4,-2
Layer 2:
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:-3z|Opts:Stem=Up,XAccSpace=1|Dur2:Whole|Pos2:-7^
|Rest|Dur:Half|Opts:Stem=Up|Visibility:Never
|Bar
|TempoVariance|Style:Fermata|Pause:0|Pos:9|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-7
But in reviewing it to post here, I just realized, when layered, it will look ok. But the stem in Layer 2 (a headless note in the chord) is going to sound in layer 2. I don't want that. (You can't mute one note of a chord, can you?) I guess I need a note stem for layer 1 that I can add as text. Is there a font and character which will give me a stem which will a) align with the note head, b) match the other stems in length and thickness, and c) be common enough to be on everyone else's computer?

Reply #4
But the stem in Layer 2 (a headless note in the chord) is going to sound in layer 2. I don't want that. (You can't mute one note of a chord, can you?)

Would it serve your purposes to add one more layer?  Then put the chord you want to hear on one of them, but with visibility=never, and put the chord as you want it displayed and printed on the other layer, in the same position, but mute it.

Layers allow so much flexibility, and there's no reason you can't layer a lot of them together.

Reply #5
As noted, Rick's solution reverses the note pitches and positions.
Which is why I said that it might be a solution.

But the stem in Layer 2 (a headless note in the chord) is going to sound in layer 2. I don't want that. (You can't mute one note of a chord, can you?)
Rather easily:
Quote from: revised Layer 2
|Note|Dur:Whole,Grace|Pos:-3z^|Opts:NoLegerLines,Muted|Visibility:Never
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:-3z|Opts:Stem=Up,XAccSpace=1|Dur2:Whole|Pos2:-7^
|Rest|Dur:Half|Opts:Stem=Up|Visibility:Never
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-7

Reply #6
If you don't care about what note goes on what staff, this looks a bit better:
|Chord|Dur:Whole|Pos:-7^,-2^
|Bar
|TempoVariance|Style:Fermata|Pause:0|Pos:5|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Chord|Dur:Whole|Pos:-7,-2
|Note|Dur:Half,Dotted,Slur|Pos:-3|Opts:XNoteSpace=1
|Note|Dur:4th,Slur|Pos:-4^
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-4
The slur is better, but still less than ideal.