Skip to main content
Topic: How do I change the size of staves (in points) in v.2 (Read 4009 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I change the size of staves (in points) in v.2

How do I change the size of staves (in points) in v.2?   In v.1.7 it used to be in Page Setup, Options, Staff Size (in points). A very handy feature which seems to have disappeared. Thanks! 

Re: How do I change the size of staves (in points) in v.2

Reply #1
|File|Page Setup...|Fonts (tab)| Change Button in the "Staff Metrics" area of the dialogue box|Staff Size (spin box).

Note you can also change the notation font in this dialogue
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Thanks, Lawrie. That was quick! Why could I not find this info in the Noteworthy help files?

Reply #3
The information is in the help file, but is under the file menu explanations.

I just tried a quick search using what I would consider a reasonable set of search terms and it didn't come up...

Umm, Eric, perhaps the help file could be updated to make this feature easier to find?  The search terms I felt were most appropriate were "staff size" - which I know really relates to the staff boundaries, but perhaps a link to the staff metrics info would be a good idea?  I doubt many would think to use the "metrics" term when searching for this unless they already knew that was the term used, in which case they would probably already be familiar with the function anyhow.

Of course, as people explore other features, like fonts, they would eventually see it...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4

It is a common problem with "Help" Files ... they don't!  Sometimes it's because the word you're searching for isn't used, though a synonym - which you haven't thought of! - is (maybe there should be some sort of automatic synonym check, so that what you get is a sort of "For 'delete' see 'erase" thing being done for you by the system) .  Sometimes it's because the "Help" Files haven't been updated following some program change.

I suspect, though, it is most often because the Files are written, almost necessarily, by an Expert, who knows the subject well and cannot any longer imagine what it was like NOT to understand how it works.   Which is one reason why Beta testing - where with luck the Program comes up against people who don't know what it's supposed to do, and how it's supposed to do it - is so important.

In this particular case it looks to me as though the Help Files haven't been prepared/updated with quite as much care as the excellent Guide (nwc2guide.pdf).  The latter gives suitable search "hits" for "metrics" (though you might not be able to find them without the "search" facility), even if the Help Files don't.

Incidentally:-

a)   I think the Guide really should have an Index, or Concordance (so that those who print it out can more easily "search" for things - like "metrics" - that they're interested in).

and

b)   While browsing at the back - and not finding an Index - I noticed that the list of Performance Styles is accompanied by a brief description that includes the words "NoteWorthy Composer does not generally change its play back style based on performance styles, except in the case of Legato/Tenuto" - which is surely not correct, for "Staccato" does result in a change of play.  And by the way: what, exactly, is the difference between Legato and Tenuto?  NWC doesn't seem to give any difference.

MusicJohn, 14/Oct/08

Reply #5
Well, technically, "legato" means to connect one note to the next and "tenuto" means to hold each note for its full value. The effect is essentially the same, especially in synthesized sound. In "real" sound a skilled performer will put an infinitessimal break between two tenuto notes and do a very quick portamento between two legato notes (except, of course, on keyboards or fretted instruments).

As for an index to the manual: I've simply kept mine on the computer in pdf form. When I need to find something, Adobe Reader's seach function does the job quite nicely. But I can see how you might want an index if you've printed it out.

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #6
Umm, Eric, perhaps the help file could be updated to make this feature easier to find?  The search terms I felt were most appropriate were "staff size" - which I know really relates to the staff boundaries, but perhaps a link to the staff metrics info would be a good idea? 

Updates to the program and its help file are under development, but actual release will be a while. In the mean time, the online FAQ does have something to offer here:

FAQ - How do I change the size of the printed staff?
http://ntworthy.com/composer/faq/92.htm