Skip to main content
Topic: Verticle alignment of layered notes (Read 3046 times) previous topic - next topic

Verticle alignment of layered notes

Dear Friends,

If you open a new file with two staves on it maybe you can see the problem I'm having.
Just enter in 3/4 time: eighth, eighth, dotted quarter on the upper staff,
(stems up), then on the lower staff enter two lower notes with stems down: half, quarter.
Now hit F2 and check "layer with next staff" to see what you get.  I would like to see
my quarter note in the bass moved over to the right quite a bit, y'know? A "distance equals
time" concept would be the preferable image for reading the print. I've enabled the "more
space for longer notes" setting, but still get the misleading spacing. Any suggestions?
I'm driven up the wall by the placement of the bass quarter note too close to the treble
dotted quarter to represent what happens in the flow of time to the right.  Maybe you
have some different settings I don't know about to fix this problem.  Windows XP is my system.

Denny Tunefool

Re: Verticle alignment of layered notes

Reply #1
   Hi, Denny.

Have you tried "note extra spacing"?  Select the note, and then Ctrl & E gives you a whole bunch of properties for that note, one of which allows you to move the note to the right by up to three "spaces".

Look in the "Help" file under "note properties".

Incidentally, this is a case where the Help file could usefully contain some sort of synonym finder; you won't find anything under "extra" or "space" ... though a Search for "extra" does reveal the FAQ relating to just this problem.

MusicJohn, 15/Oct/08

Reply #2
Layer:
Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|TimeSig|Signature:3/4
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:-1
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-1
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:-1
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-1
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-1^|Opts:Stem=Up,Tie=Upward
|Text|Text:"  "|Font:PageSmallText|Pos:7|Wide:Y|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
with:
Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|TimeSig|Signature:3/4
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-3|Opts:Stem=Down
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:#-3|Opts:Stem=Down
|Bar
|RestChord|Dur:4th|Opts:Stem=Up,VertOffset=2000|Dur2:Half|Pos2:-3
|Rest|Dur:4th|Opts:VertOffset=2000
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-3|Opts:Stem=Down
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Bar 1 shows the problem, bars 2 and 3 show some solutions.
Bar 2 uses some concepts from RestChords - hiding the rest .

Edit: Uncheck 'Increase note spacing for larger note durations' in Page Setup to see the problem more clearly.
As Lawrie notes below, the Code: block assume NWC2.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
John,

Thanks, you'd think I would have tried your excellent fix by now, but I somehow missed it. It works perfectly and It sure beats using whiteout on the score.  It requires extra time to do something that
seems like it should go down automatically right as entered the first time in an ideal world.

Tunefool

Rick G.,

Thanks for your cool looking reply as well, maybe after I've been doing nwc for twelve years like you,
I'll have a clue what to do with that solution. It may as well be written in Hebrew as far as my understanding of what to do with it. Duh. I'm pretty new at this computer thing. What is that? Some
kind of a set of instructions for me to set something? Like how to set nwc so it always automatically
does what I want? I'd really go for that, meantime I'll humbly settle for MusicJohn's fix :)

Tunefool

Reply #4
Starting with a song consisting of two layered blank staves:
  • copy everything in the first grey (Code:) box to the clipboard
  • paste it into the top staff
  • copy everything in the second grey box to the clipboard
  • paste it into the bottom staff

How to copy from a web page is browser dependent. For my browser, triple clicking in the grey box, selects it, Ctrl+C copies it to the clipboard.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
Rick G.,

I followed your instructions and the layered example looks perfectly spaced. Does this mean I have a
single template on which such layered rhythms will look right, or will they come out good on other songs, too?
I'll copy your codes to a document folder and save them. Thanks a lot for your time ! ! !

Denny Tunefool