Skip to main content
Topic: Tenuto and Staccato together (Read 36743 times) previous topic - next topic

Tenuto and Staccato together

Do you know about the note where there is a tenuto AND a staccato on top (together)? Well, what is it for and what does it do to the playing?

Re: Tenuto and Staccato together

Reply #1
It means to play the notes separated but long.  In lower wind instruments, I think most of us would tend to lean on the notes a little too, to get more or less a softly accented attack.  Less than marcato, but more than legato.

NWC2 doesn't support the marking natively, but you can almost get the right visual effect if you use layered staffs and muted headless notes with stem length 0. 

Staff 1 set to layer with next staff:
|Note|Dur:4th,Staccato|Pos:6o|Color:0|Visibility:Default

Staff 2:
|Note|Dur:4th,Tenuto|Pos:7z|Opts:StemLength=0|Color:0|Visibility:Default

Mute to avoid hearing the close close harmony.

Reply #2
This can also be done by entering the tenuto marking as text, centered on the next note.

In the classic period, there was notation for three degrees of staccato which can be executed as this example shows.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #3
In lower wind instruments, I think most of us would tend to lean on the notes a little too, to get more or less a softly accented attack.  Less than marcato, but more than legato.
How does one play 'more than legato' on a wind instrument?

Search for portato for more discussion.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
For single reeds, it's the degree of tonguing and the breathing itself to shape the articulation.  I don't play brass, double reeds or flute, so I can't say what you do to achieve it on those.  One website graphically illustrates the shape of the note as a line of even thickness, but I disagree.  I suggest it would swell a little, but only a little.  There should, of course, be clear separation from the second note.

Another website shows both the staccato/legato mark and several staccato notes with a slur over them as being portamento.  The figures may be the same for strings or piano, but I would interpret them differently on a woodwind. 

Keep in mind I'm an amateur player, and haven't looked it up, other than a very quick glimpse at a couple of search results online.  I've been known to be wrong before.  Once or twice...

Reply #5
Portato, not portamento. Otherwise, correct.

These two terms are often confused with each other, but "portamento" means to glide between two pitches (similar to a glissando, but hitting all the intermediate frequencies, not just the ones that have note names). "Portato" means to play halfway between staccato and legato, indicated by staccato dots under a slur. See Rick's post above.

....and I suspect Maurizio will chime in here shortly on the actual meaning of the Italian words....

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #6
Oops.  As I wrote, "I've been known to be wrong before."  Big time this time.  Sounds like my portato was only half-baked. 

Reply #7
Here I am indeed, but...

It's not easy at all to get a relevant meaning beside the one in the specific musical topic!

"Portamento" verbatim is "bringing", "demeanor" but also "gait".
"Portato" is "carried".
Why these words were used that way in the musical context I really don't know.

Etymology put aside, the musical meaning is already correctly described by Bill (thanks mate).

Music terms are sometime very curious.
For example it's customary in Italy, when someone played the wrong note, to say "ha fatto una stecca" or "ha preso una stecca": "He made (or took) a slat, a rib, a wand". Where does it comes?
Uhmmmm...
I start supposing it comes from a severe teacher beating the pupil that made an error...
Glad I didn't live in those times!

Maurizio

Reply #8
In jazz, wrong notes are usually called "clams," as in: "I hit a clam on that one." I don't know why that is, either.

Of course, there is also the Thelonius Monk approach. Someone once asked him, "What do you do when you hit a wrong note on the piano?" Monk's reply: "There are no wrong notes on the piano."

Cheers,

Bill