Skip to main content
Topic: Problem with slurs and grace notes. (Read 4745 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem with slurs and grace notes.

In the attached measure, the 1st quarter note needs to be on the same bow as the grace notes leading to the 2nd beat, however the 2nd beat needs to be on a different bow.  Placing a slur on the first beat doesn't stop at the grace notes but continues to the second beat.  The slur attribute is on the first quarter and first grace notes only.

What am I missing? TIA
Since 1998

Re: Problem with slurs and grace notes.

Reply #1
In NWC2, grace notes have their own slurs that are separate from the non-grace notes. There is not currently any way to combine/integrate the two.

Reply #2
In NWC2, grace notes have their own slurs that are separate from the non-grace notes.
Before layering, there was a reason for this, but we are fast approaching the 10th anniversary of official support for layering.

The user should be able to specify where a slur ends. I see no advantage in handling grace notes separately.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
This feature is new to NWC2. Layering was deployed in an earlier NWC1 release. The advantage in NWC2 is that grace notes have their own slur, even when a primary note slur passes over them.

Reply #4
This feature is new to NWC2. <snip> The advantage in NWC2 is that grace notes have their own slur, even when a primary note slur passes over them.
I don't see this as a feature or an advantage. Double slurs can quite easily be done with layers as my attachment shows.

IMO, it is quite logical to use a layer for this.

NWC2 prevents Warren from achieving the effect he wants.

Reply #5
The notational slur on a grace note is functionally different from a legato slur over a group of notes, and Noteworthy is correct to treat them independently.

The instance trying to be achieved is quite rare and that is where layering could be used. The normal treatment is correct as it stands.

Reply #6
The notational slur on a grace note is functionally different from a legato slur over a group of notes, and Noteworthy is correct to treat them independently.
I'm not trying to be difficult here, but I googled the phrase "notational slur" and came up empty.

I have never understood what function slurs on grace notes serve. In piano music, I'd play all these the same:
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|TimeSig|Signature:2/4
|Instrument|Name:"Flute"|Patch:73|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127|Pos:8
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace,Slur|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:0
|Bar
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace,Slur|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Bar
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
I would not play any of the groups detached, so for me, the slur serves no function.

Another drawback to NWC's 'distinction' is that this:
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace,Slur|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
is mishandled. The slur should not stop at the bar.

that is where layering could be used.
Try it. I did and gave up after several hours.

Reply #7
I tried attaching a new file to this post, it said there was a duplicate name and I lost everything I had been writing.  Oh, well, let's try again:

I looked at the file Rick attached (Thanks!) and tried to replace the quarter in the layered staff with a pair of 8ths, hiding the 2nd one (hiding the 1st hid the slur as well).  It worked except for the problem of how to hide the flag in the layered 8th.

I just installed NWslur from The Scriptorium, but haven't had much of a chance to experiment with it.  Attached (I hope!) is what I have thus far:
Since 1998

Reply #8
It worked except for the problem of how to hide the flag in the layered 8th.
try this instead:
|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Up,NoLegerLines,Muted,VertOffset=2000|Dur2:Whole|Pos2:0z
I could get close to what you wanted with a layer and 8th notes, but it all fell apart if the notes weren't tightly packed. To me, that is no solution if depends on tight packing.

I have also wanted to start a visible slur on a hidden note. Can't say I'm real fond of NWC's handling in this area.