Skip to main content
Topic: play not cutting off at the end of the staff (possible bug?) (Read 5041 times) previous topic - next topic

play not cutting off at the end of the staff (possible bug?)

Is anyone else having this problem?

When beginning a new draft of a piece, I regularly construct an ad hoc template by loading an older version, saving it under a new name, closing it, opening it again under the new name, and then deleting everything after the clef in each staff. This preserves my instrument assignments, staff metrics and layout, etc., and allows me to immediately start entering notes. (Closing and opening is probably not necessary, but it assures that I'm working with a new file instead of a renamed old file, thus eliminating any chance of overwriting the previous draft.) When I do this in the final release of NWC2, add a few notes to the new draft, and then hit "play," the play function fails to release at the end of the staff; the sound stops, but the buttons that are grayed out and nonfunctional during playback remain grayed out and nonfunctional. I have to hit "stop" to make them functional again. Alternatively, I can just wait, and eventually, after what seems like a long while, the editor will return to normal.

I didn't notice this happening with any of the previous releases, but it's possible I just missed it.

This is not a case of a held note without a cutoff; the sound stops, the editor simply doesn't come back on line. The problem remains when I close NoteWorthy, reopen it, and reopen the file, so it is evidently a property of the file, not an artifact of a particular work session.

I've attached a sample file. I'm curious to know if it will act the same way on other's machines as it does on mine. Please let me know - and if you can figure out why (and how to correct it) I'd appreciate that, too. My working assumption is that a ghost of the previous file is somehow maintained, and that play continues until the full time of that file has elapsed. But I haven't a clue how that could happen.

Cheers (I think),

Bill

<edit> The flute I use is a non-GM soundfont (the viola and the harp are GM), so this isn't going to sound the same on your machine as on mine. That shouldn't affect the cutoff problem.

Re: play not cutting off at the end of the staff (possible bug?)

Reply #1
G'day Bill,
you still have a "full length" staff - the hidden "viola effects" one.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Duh-h-h.....

Thanks, Lawrie. I'd forgotten all about that staff. That's undoubtedly what has caused the problem the other times it has occurred, as well.

Muchas gracias,

Bill

Reply #3
Hi Bill,

I do something like you do, except I use a file with just the staffs configured the way I want them as my template.  No notes.  Just the staffs and clefs.  Saves having to delete everything from a previous file, and risking overwriting the "good" file I'm using for the template.

D. 

Reply #4
I'd forgotten all about that staff. That's undoubtedly what has caused the problem the other times it has occurred, as well.
Muting it doesn't help either. I argue here:
I would expect a muted staff to be removed from playback.
This would allow the user to set up multiple tempi and MPC staves and experiment by muting staves. Currently, I copy the staves into NotePad and insert/delete them from NWC. I can't save a work in progress, without starting the whole process over.
that it should.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
I support that, Rick.

Reply #6
I also concur
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
I agree with Rick's comment as well. But it won't help when you've simply forgotten that the (unmuted) hidden staff is there....(blush)....

Bill

Reply #8
But it won't help when you've simply forgotten that the (unmuted) hidden staff is there...
True. But, IMHO, one ought to be able to be able to experiment with the effect of removing a staff from playback without having to physically remove it from the score.

For many of us, composing/arranging is very much a trial and error process. The ability to disable without deletion would expedite this.

Visually, Show on printed page:Never can be applied to all objects. It would be useful to have something like Audio:Never as well. Among other things, this would let you insert bar lines and Special Endings that do not alter flow.

Perhaps the Visibility tab should be renamed: Output
Options could be: Visual, Color, Audio
Registered user since 1996

Reply #9
Quote from: Rick G.
IMHO, one ought to be able to be able to experiment with the effect of removing a staff from playback without having to physically remove it from the score.

For many of us, composing/arranging is very much a trial and error process. The ability to disable without deletion would expedite this.

Oh, I agree completely, Rick. I was just apologizing once more for missing the obvious in my original post.

Cheers,

Bill