Skip to main content
Topic: Windows Vista will not play sound (Read 4978 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows Vista will not play sound

First time I used my version 1.75c on Vista.  It says that none of the MIDI drivers work, to wit:

Microsoft GS Wavetable SW...
Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth
Microsoft Midi Mapper

Any idea what I can do?

thanks

Birrell

Re: Windows Vista will not play sound

Reply #1
G'day Birrel,
first things first I guess, can you play any MIDI file using, say, Windows Media Player or some other MIDI player?  It is unlikely that the fault is in NWC, but it could be in the MIDI subsystem of vista.

There have been some significant changes in how vista does sound from previous versions of windows...

IF you can play MIDIs through other players then we will need to examine things a little more closely.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: Windows Vista will not play sound- MIne also Concertmate990!!

Reply #4

I too have a problem with my Concertmate 990 Midi  playing on Vista. At first it did work on XP, called away for a family outing. I had pulled ut the Midi cables and lost the sound playing back on my Midi playing on  my Concertmate 990.

The Dell Demsion B1100 -upgraded myself the whole hardware and program to Vista.

Now I need to put the Concertmate in Default in the MIDI Player on Music player . Also a I need a decoder. Not all Music playing lessons recognize your instrument, sometimes you have to type in the name when you can. I have pc book and midi books which I am studying to understand where I am at. It is an up hill task to do  for me.

Sincerely yours,

KatyAnnRose55

Reply #5
One of the first things to do if you have no sound is to open All Programs in the the Start menu, go to Accessories and then Entertainment> Volume Control and see that none of your Playback options is muted. If it is, uncheck it.  Windows sometimes decides to mute Midi or other inputs.

Tony

Reply #6
Katy, I will paste below my reply to your help request on another thread.  It seems to me that you are really asking the same question in all your posts, worded slightly differently in each one.  As noted below, we need more info before any of us can even define the problem you are really having, let alone come up with a solution:

KatyAnnRose55, you mentioned a "decoder" on this and another thread.  Could possibly mean an audio "codec"?  That is short for coder-decoder.  Someone can certainly give you a better definition, but roughly codecs are applications that the computer uses to convert digital sound into different audio formats with different levels of depth of sound information, such as mp3, ogg vorbis, wma, etc.  Again, more info would be helpful - how are your keyboard's MIDI jacks connected to your computer (MIDI interface manufacturer and model, straight USB with no MIDI cables, etc.), are you on a laptop or a desktop, the text of error messages that pop up, whether you C-mate 990 manual says it is General MIDI compatible, any detail and any text from which you are getting what you write in your posts would be helpful.