Skip to main content
Topic: Possible to use less verse lines for refrain? (Read 4501 times) previous topic - next topic

Possible to use less verse lines for refrain?

I am wondering if there is a way to allocate less white space for the verses on a refrain.  E.g. , I have a song with six verses.  NWC wants to allocate enough white space for six verses on the refrain bars, which really only need one.  So a song which should fit handily on one page becomes a struggle of twiddling with the vertical spacing for the staff and the offset for the lyrics.  I haven't seen any way to say "1 verse for these measures" and "6 verses for these measures."  I figure probably not possible, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Ann

Re: Possible to use less verse lines for refrain?

Reply #1
Hi Ann

I don't believe there is any way to do what you want to do.  NWC allocates the space as if you were going to use the lyrics you have configured throughout the song.

Perhaps, if you're trying to get a decent print of the song, you could use post processing using DTP.
If a copy of the complete song will not print properly to effectively used DTP in one hit then you may want to try splitting the song into two files, the verses in one file (using the appropriate staff ending selection) and then the refrain in the second song with only one lyric line configured.

Then use post processing to put them together.

It has worked for me in the past.

Good luck

Rich.

Reply #2
NWC does not currently support dynamic allocation of vertical staff space on a per system basis.

Reply #4
Do I smell a future enhancement?

Hmm, I hope so...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
Sorry not to respond earlier.  Try two layered staffs, with the single line lyric attached to one and the multiplie line lyric attached to the other.  Fiddle with note properties (lyric syllable) to move the lyric to where it's needed.

I hope this is roughly what Ann needs. 

This was created in NWC2 but exported to NWC1,75.  Hope it opens.

Reply #6
NWC does not currently support dynamic allocation of vertical staff space on a per system basis.
Perhaps the program could detect a situation like my attachment. It wouldn't solve every "French Staff" problem, but it wouldn't need any change to the User Interface, and it would be a start.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
Today I was confronted with the same question.
Rick G.'s reply is a nice idea, so I adjusted it and got it working.
To get the required result:
During the refrain, the verses bar should have rests.
Before these rests, Insert a Boundary Change to Start a collapsible section.
As a result, the verses bar collapses, and thus will use no space.

See attached file.

Good luck.