Skip to main content
Topic: Printing (Read 3191 times) previous topic - next topic

Printing

Why is it that when I want to print (for instance) a piano-piece that always one or more  measures  of the partition take the whole width of the page ?

Re: Printing

Reply #2
Ebirlix, I haven't noticed this behaviour.  If I understand correctly, you have a measure that is stretching too far across the page.  I suspect you have a bar line with the "forced system break" property.  Check the properties of the uppermost ending bar line of the extended bar.

If that doesn't solve your problem, please attach a copy of your song file and somebody in this forum should be able to see what's going wrong for you. 

Reply #3
On the Page Setup dialogue box, under Options, do you have a check in "Extend Last System"?

Reply #4
Try Page Setup Options, specifically 'Increase note spacing for larger notes' (uncheck it) and 'Staff Size (in points)' (reduce it). You can also try reducing the margins.

For piano music, 16 - 18 pts is best, but 14 is readable if there are not a lot of accidentals. Some songs, notably Schubert's Ave Maria and Pachelbel's Canon cannot be done in 16+ pts without some measures occupying a line to themselves.

NWC2 allows for some tighter note-packing techniques, but is still inadequate for most 12/8 pieces and many pieces that have 32nd note runs.

Attached is an image of part of my rework of Canon in D. This was done in NWC2. I had to use a Staff size of 14 pts and expand the margins to get measures 24 and 25 on one line. This is just barely acceptable to me for reading. This is in 300dpi, so you really need to download it and view it, as opposed to viewing it in your browser.
Registered user since 1996