Skip to main content
Topic: NWC has stopped working? (Read 3952 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC has stopped working?

I've been using NWC for several years now, and I've always been very happy with it.  Then I got a new computer and the audio stopped working.  I found that by playing a MIDI in WMP at the same time NWC is playing, will cause NWC to start working again.  Kind of annoying, but livable.  Then today, I went to listen to a MIDI in WMP, and it wouldn't work.  Then I tried NWC, and it still wouldn't play.  Tried the "play at the same time" thing, but still nothing.  I haven't gotten a new sound card, and as far as I know, I haven't changed any drivers.  I can still play MP3s, so it's not a speaker problem.  I have also tried multiple MIDIs, but still nothing.  NWC lists Microsoft MIDI Mapper and Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth.  I can only have one in the "Devices used by playback" box, or I get an error that whichever device was on the bottom cannot open properly.  What do I do?

Re: NWC has stopped working?

Reply #1
If your new machine runs Windows Vista, it's a problem with your operating system.  Search this forum, using "Vista" for your search item, and you'll find a few postings.  I don't know what works and doesn't work, since I still use XP, but those postings will be helpful.

Reply #2
MIDI Mapper and the m$ GS wavetable synth are, by default, the same synth.  MIDI Mapper is only a pointer to the default synth, which by default (sic) IS the GS wavtable one supplied by m$.

Unless you REALLY need more than 16 channels it's best to only have ONE synth in the playback list.

The other problem with MIDI playback is probably the old issue where WMP often reduces the MIDI volume to nothing when exiting WMP.  Open your mixer applet and turn the MIDI volume back up.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
I've been using NWC for several years now, and I've always been very happy with it.  Then I got a new computer and the audio stopped working.  ]

I also have been using noteworthy composer for several years. Recently the sound has stopped working. I have reloaded and then upgraded to the latest version but neither helped. I have reloaded my soundcard driver (VIA AC'97 ENHANCED AUDIO CONTROLLER) but that did not help either. I find all other types of sound work. I have loaded (or reloaded) sndvol32.exe and checked for 'Mutes' but found none relevant. What next? I dont up-grade my computer voluntarily but suspect microsoft of fiddling around without my permission. As could other commercial interests, or pranksters. Or something could have broken. Have others experienced this problem?  Ian

Reply #5
G'day Ian,
about the only thing I can think of at the moment is your "Devices used by playback" selection.  Make sure there's something in there.  Other than that confirm general MIDI function.

As a check, try playing back a MIDI file OUTSIDE of NWC.  Remember that WMP has a habit of muting/lowering the MIDI device volume so you'll need to check this once you exit WMP if you use it.

For a MIDI player I suggest Van Bascoes Karoake player - it allows you to select your MIDI output device.  It is also a much better MIDI player than WMP.

Given that your soundcard is an onboard VIA AC97 device then your MIDI synth will be the Microsoft GS Softsynth.  This product depends on a file called GM.DLS (if you have Win 98 then I think it's called GM16.DLS.  If this file is missing or damaged you will get no MIDI.  In a WINXP box it will reside in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS.

I hope there's a clue or 2 that helps...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #6
Thanks a lot Lawrie. It gives me something to work at , certainly. Ian

Reply #7
I was without sound for over a week and had tried everything I knew when I finally found the time to deal with an HP tech. Turns out that a windows automatic update corrupted the drivers for both of my playback devices so I had to uninstall the sound card and the realtek drivers. I am running vista home premium which automatically reinsalls the drivers upon reboot after they have been uninstalled. After uninstalling only one of the devices I still had no sound. I had to do both at the same time but in the end I got my sound back. Happy am I! I would caution you if you don't run vista to make sure you know what drivers you will be looking for after uninstall if your OS does not automatically search out and reinstall the drivers. I don't know about XP in this area. I'm sure someone else does. Good luck.