Skip to main content
Topic: Sound Cards (Read 5245 times) previous topic - next topic

Sound Cards

Could someone suggest a suitable sound card in order to obtain better instrumental sounds.I rely on my computer generated sounds at present and am blinded by technicalities when I search the internet sites.

Re: Sound Cards

Reply #1
G'day cornwell,
I'll try not to baffle you with science but...

The component that actually generates the sounds is the synthesizer (synth).  Its output is fed to an appropriate mixer/amplifier and thence to your speakers.

Now, in most Windows PCs the default synth is a software one provided by microsoft called "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synthesizer".  The sounds this produces are licenced from Roland and are fairly ordinary.

The default sound card on most modern PC's is usually some cheap audio chip on the motherboard that does not contain a hardware synth.  They are usually good enough for general listening but not up to the task of serious music production.

The current Creative Soundblaster X-Fi range of cards is pretty good, but you MUST be careful which model you buy.  Believe it or not, the "Extreme Music" is NOT the card you want, but the "Extreme Gamer" IS.  The reason is that the "music" card does NOT have the ability for you to load soundfonts.  The "gamer" is the lowest one that can, so be careful.

If you want simple then this is probably it, buy an "Extreme Gamer" and then find a soundfont you like.  This is actually the hardest part.  If you search this forum you'll find heaps of discussion on this subject.  My own preference in sound fonts is:
"AirFont 340"
S. Christian Collins "GeneralUser GS"
and Chaos 8MB (for good saxes)

Also, the Merlin range is not bad.  There are lots of others and I cannot choose for you...  See www.hammersound.net for a range of soundfonts to select from.

My absolute favourite MIDI synth is the Yamaha S-YXG50 softsynth but it is no longer available and doesn't work on vista either.

BTW, don't scrimp on speakers - those $10 stereo pairs that often come with PCs are just not good enough - Logitech and Creative both have some quite surprising 5.1 speaker systems that I'm sure you'll be pleased with.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Laurie, Thanks for your prompt and helpful reply. I'd heard of Creative but had been warned off them as not too reliable. I've been trying to obtain M Audio but they seem unobtainableher in Australia. I've read quite a lot about Soundfonts and am keen to use them but apparently one needs a sound card to load them  . As you say the provided noises ( I really can't call them much else) are very nasty. I hope you'll forgive my ineptitude but at 85 I'm what you might call a slow learner at  the computer.

Reply #3
G'day cornwell,
if you are located anywhere near the NSW Central Coast I can help more than you think.  I have an IT business based there...

If you're interested send me a Personal Message and I'll give you my contact details.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
I have a Creative Audigy sound card, which has been completely reliable for a long time; previously I used a second-hand Creative card which was equally satisfactory. But remember that a good sound card is still no better than the speaker system you are using.  Most PC speaker systems are not very brilliant. Connection to your Hif Fi is good if it can be easily arranged - not always possible.  i use a relatively cheap "Trust" PC speaker set which has two small high frequency units and a single Bass  unit and it is surprisingly good, but it is not concert hall quality!

Tony

Reply #5
A good way to go for non-techies is a stand-alone sound card that plugs into the USB port. These usually come with a decent set of soundfonts, and often can be loaded with others. And you don't have to open up the computer - all you have to do is plug 'em in and turn 'em on.

And Lawrie and Tony are right - don't skimp on the speakers!

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #6
Thanks to Bill and Tony for your help with the choice of Sound Cards. An external card seems a good and easy way to go.

Reply #7
"cornwell"

I had not noticed your reference to your age; I am 85½ and can manage to install an on board sound card and to load sound fonts with relative success!  I may not always be right first time, but with help from the good friends of the forum I have always got there in the end.

Tony  in UK