Skip to main content
Topic: Non-standard key signature (incl. micro-tones) repeating on each line. (Read 5483 times) previous topic - next topic

Non-standard key signature (incl. micro-tones) repeating on each line.

I'm trying to enter a non-standard key signature, which looks like Eb major (Bb, Eb, Ab), but the Eb has a diagonal stroke through it (representing a half-flat). I am using Ertugrul's font to give me the half-flat symbol.

How do I get my user-defined key signature to appear at the beginning of every line?

I can't seem to find any option or combination that will do this. I am not keen to force line breaks and manual stick the key signature in after every forced line-break. That is the only kluge that occurs to me.

Any advice warmly welcomed!

Re: Non-standard key signature (incl. micro-tones) repeating on each line.

Reply #1
Since you're using a text entry to create your key signature, NWC2 won't automatically display it at the beginning of each system.

What you're already doing is all you can do.  It could be a little easier if you set all your line breaks before you enter the key signature.  Then use the find feature to locate each forced system break, and copy/paste the text-based key signature immediately after each one.

Reply #2
Any other ideas on how to create a custom key signature?
Having one as text and manually creating line-breaks in not an option, as I need to be able to print the music in several pages sizes.

It seems Finale can do this. I was hoping NoteWorthy could do it, so that I can keep poking my friends who are Finale advocates in the eye! :)

Reply #3
Use a font editor to replace an unused Clef glyph with the look of the custom KeySig you want. Use that Clef on a layer. Or, if the KeySig and Clef is the same for the entire piece, just add the accidentals as contours to the Clef glyph.

Why anyone would choose NoteWorthy for avant-garde notation is a mystery to me.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
Why anyone would choose NoteWorthy for avant-garde notation is a mystery to me.

Why anyone would choose NoteWorthy for ancient manuscript emulation is a mystery to me..

Ha, ha, ha, ha!
Rick, you're great (and I agree with you)!
Anyway that's called "pushing the envelope"...

Reply #5
Thanks, Rick! The font idea is brilliant! Shall try it immediately!

Not sure if the reference to avant-garde notation was to my work or not, but I'm certainly not doing anything avant garde. Am merely trying to transcribe Byzantine music (written in psaltic neumes, 'psaltika') into Western notation. Accurate transcription of the eight tones relies on clearly marking the expected micro-tones of the mode in the key signature.

NoteWorthy Composer is brilliant for this work, because I can write a program to scan the Byzantine music document and output the appropriate NWCTXT file--including all the bent pitches to represent both the different tuning and the micro-tonal accidentals. It works great for me, and easily allows me to train Western ears to hear the correct musical intervals.

Reply #6
A good part of this forum seems dedicated to rendering "byzantine" manuscripts  :)

As a piano player, anything concerning microtones is avant-garde to me. That said, I've played a few "microtonal", "atonal" and "selectively muted" pianos, none by design.

If you could attach some small examples or provide a link, we might be help you more.
Registered user since 1996