Skip to main content
Topic: Heart Of Oak (Read 6071 times) previous topic - next topic

Heart Of Oak

Does anyone know where I can get Heart of Oak in NWC or NW2 format please?

Re: Heart Of Oak

Reply #1
Another acceptible format for those songs is also midi.  Try putting the following line in a search engine:

Code: [Select · Download]
"Heart of Oak" nwc OR mid

You will have to fix triplets and either enter or cut-and-paste the lyrics (adding slurs and hyphens as needed).  Not as easy as clicking on an NWC file, but the exercise should be useful learning tool.

To get you started, this looks like a promising link.

Welcome to the NWC community!
Since 1998

Reply #2
I have an NWC file.  Give me an e-mail and I'll send it to you.

Reply #3
Never mind, I pulled the address from your profile.  The file is in the mail.  Let me know if it is what you need.

Reply #4
Another acceptible format for those songs is also midi.
You mean that's possible?  That would be soooo kewl !!!!!  I had no idea!! Where do I start?  How do I get a midi file into NWC?
Yupper; I'd already found it and quite a few others (it's midi) and was at the end of my rope.  But, if I understand you correctly there's a whole new realm of possibilities I never suspected.
Thank you very much!

Reply #5
Nothing easier, SeaCanary. Fire up Noteworthy, File, Open, your midi file. This will start the MIDI Import Wizart.
Do not expect miracles, because Midi does not support everything that Noteworthy can do.
So if you have a Noteworthy file, export it to Midi, and then import it again, it will look different. It may even sound a bit different because of breathmarks (which are not exported to Midi) and triplets (which are an approximation in Midi).

The good news is: Midi is indeed very often a good start, and it can save you a lot of work. More so when you realise that when something you found is in a wrong key, you can transpose it. Or when you find that a tenor part has a simple G clef, and all the notes are notated an octave too low. Nothing easier.
Try your hand, and if you need help you will know where to find it: right here!

cheers,
Rob.

Reply #6
Rob said:-
because Midi does not support everything that Noteworthy can do.
So if you have a Noteworthy file, export it to Midi, and then import it again, it will look different. It may even sound a bit different because of breathmarks (which are not exported to Midi) and triplets (which are an approximation in Midi).

Cough! Cough!

Reply #7
Triplets are not an approximation in MIDI. NoteWorthy Triplet import from MIDI is, since NWC will not make any MIDI import note a triplet. NWC import also discards most Controller and Meta Events, and all note velocities.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #8

And vice versa. Meaning: Every program that cares about notation has a lot of "It's my own invention" (thank you, White Knight)
which of course does not go into Midi.
But there are those absolute beauties in Midi that refuse to be imported in a reasonable way into Noteworthy.

The thing is: all shortcomings set aside, it helps greatly to hunt for Midi files and use them as a starting point.

Reply #9
But there are those absolute beauties in Midi that refuse to be imported in a reasonable way into Noteworthy.

Read as:
Which Noteworthy refuses to import!

Reply #10
Which is what I'm thinking!!

Importing a midi file gives me something to build on or adjust rather than starting from scratch with my sadly inadequate skills at arranging.  While I've been a semi-professional musician for 30 years, I play by ear and read music painfully slow.  NWC is a learning tool as much as anything because now I get immediate feedback when I change/adjust/fiddle-around-with existing scores.

I wanted to pull my hair out or break out the Bushmill's before finding this tool.

Thanks, gang!

Reply #11
<Here> is the MIDI.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #12
I play by ear and read music painfully slow.
and you are not alone... :)
-DAVID COOPER