Skip to main content
Topic: Noteworth output as XPS displays fine, won't print (Read 4601 times) previous topic - next topic

Noteworth output as XPS displays fine, won't print

I am printing a songbook for a small Filk convention.  One of the songs has notation created in Noteworthy and was "printed" to an XPS format (XPS Print option c/o Office 2007, I believe).

The XPS file displays perfectly in IE 7, but whenever I attempt to print this file, all of the notes and other musical symbols turn into things like Envelopes and Mailboxes, and telephone symbols, etc. It looks like they're all using wingdings.

I've tried printing to two printers (HP 4500, through two different drivers), HP inkjet, PrimoPDF, Send to OneNote, etc.  All of these result in the same output.

I saw posts here mentioning the font NWCF15, and I found it and installed it.  No change.

The author is going to try using PrimoPDF directly from Noteworthy.  Any idea what might be wrong?  Again, it works fine on the screen.

Re: Noteworth output as XPS displays fine, won't print

Reply #1
When I print my scores to PDF, I select the option "Download as Soft Font", which downloads any fonts into the PDF, so I don't depend on any downstream computer or printer that may be attempting to read the the score I've created.

Has worked fine on the hundred or so computers that have read my scores so far.

Reply #2
I suggest using a program that pretends it's a printer but captures the printed document as PDF instead of printing the job on paper.   I swear by PDFCreator.exe available at http://www.pdfcreator.de.vu/ but others may prefer something else.

I'm not sure how your print to XPS or even what XPS is.  You probably won't need it if you use PDFCreator.

Reply #3
XPS is Microsoft's "latest and greatest" new format to do the same thing that PDF does...

The really confusing and annoying part of this is that it shows on the screen perfectly.  Therefore, one would think that it has the necessary fonts.

I tried setting the "download fonts" on the printer settings for printing from the XPS, and that did not suffice.  I'll have the person creating these try that when creating either future PDFs or XPSs.

Reply #4
Then, XPS might be the problem. Please try good old PDF first. Does that work as expected? Then, XPS is your problem - maybe it's a bit too new and needs a release or two. If PDF (I have used PrimoPDF and PDF Creator, they both work fine for me) comes out wrong, you have quite another problem.

Reply #5
The fact that your XPS files display fine on screen, but do not print, would tend to indicate a bug in the XPS renderer (although there are other possible explanations, including some kind of display versus printer XPS options).

As others have pointed out, you might be happier with using PDF, which has the advantage of broader compatibility (and avoiding a Microsoft file format).

Reply #6
I second, third, and fourth the motion to use pdf instead of xps. I suspect xps will turn out to be a dead end, whereas pdf is refined, universally known, and highly portable. (I'm not a great fan of other Adobe products, so coming from me, this is very high praise.)

My personal favorite pdf "printer" is PDF ReDirect - freeware that works perfectly with NWC (and everything else I've tried it with). But any of the programs listed in postings in this thread should do the job.

Cheers,

Bill