Skip to main content
Topic: Noteworthy Composer Sound Font (Read 7152 times) previous topic - next topic

Noteworthy Composer Sound Font

Hi there!

Does anyone know where I can get the SoundFont Noteworthy Composer uses? Meaning, using SynthFont, would it be possible for me to get an MP3 of my song that sounds THE EXACT SAME? I can't do the Wavepad Recording method because I don't have a duel sound card or whatever... but do you know what I mean? If Noteworthy Composer can play it, why does SynthFont make it sound a little different?

Re: Noteworthy Composer Sound Font

Reply #1
G'day 'dude,
Noteworthy doesn't use a soundfont...

What NWC does is output via MIDI.  If you have a soundfont at all, it's loaded in your soundcard.

To determine what MIDI device NWC is using go to:
|Tools|Options|Midi (tab)| and read the device listed in:
"Devices used by play back"

If this is "Microsoft MIDI Mapper" then you'll also need to open control panel and go to "Sounds and Audio Devices" | Audio (tab) and check "MIDI music playback".  The device listed there is what MIDI Mapper uses.

If you are using a soundcard synth that uses soundfonts, then go to the cards soundfont bank manager and check out the soundfont thats loaded into that synth.  This is the soundfont that you'll need to load into synthfont.

If you are using the MS GS Wavetable Softsynth, Synthfont can't use it as it isn't a soundfont.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Are there any soundfonts that identically match 'MS GS Wavetable Softsynth'?

Thanks!

Reply #3
Are there any soundfonts that identically match 'MS GS Wavetable Softsynth'?

I dunno, but I'd think it was unlikely - that waveset is from Roland and it's a pretty ordinary one...

Still, it wouldn't hurt to look around.

Some questions:
What sound card do you have? 
Does it support soundfonts?
What version of Synthfont are you using?
Have you tried using MIDIYoke (a virtual "cable") to link up MIDI to Synthfont to use it as a softsynth?  That way NWC and Synthfont would sound the same.  Only problem is, the last time I looked at this feature of Synthfont it was broken.  That was months ago and I haven't persued it.

Reply #4
Sound Card-- do you mean MS GS Wavetable Softsynth? Besides that, I'm not sure... I doubt it's anything special.

I've used Synthfont, so I assume so.

I have Version 1.062

I have not tried MIDIYoke... I'll check that out.

Reply #5
Sound Card-- do you mean MS GS Wavetable Softsynth? Besides that, I'm not sure... I doubt it's anything special.

I've used Synthfont, so I assume so.

I have Version 1.062

I have not tried MIDIYoke... I'll check that out.

Soundcard - the actual hardware device that allows the various audio data sources within your PC to be connected to your speakers...

MS GS Wavetable Softsynth - a software synthesiser from Microsoft that uses a wavetable set from Roland.  Synths, whether hardware or software are what are used to convert the MIDI command stream into reproducable audio - MIDI data is NOT audio, merely directives for synths to produce audio from.

Hmm, never assume - makes an ASS out of U and ME - :)

Back to soundcards - AFAIK Creative are the only ones who make soundfont compatibe soundcards - I stand to be corrected on this.  If you only have an onboard sound chip like "SoundMAX" or a "Realtek" or any number of "noisemaker" chips then you would be well advised to look at upgrading to a decent soundcard.

In reading the specs. for the current Creative X-Fi range I'm not sure they even have hardware synths anymore - certainly the vista drivers seem to not have the applets to allow soundfont control.  I've been keeping an eye a few forums recently and thats the conclusion that I'm inclining to.

That said, if there's anyone reading this that has an X-Fi can you please enlighten us.  Especially vista and XP users.

Now, you might be able to pick up a second hand Live! or Audigy card by Creative - these are OK and definitely use soundfonts - they are also full duplex so the recording problem will "go away" too.

Reply #7
If you want a sound card which can load extra sound fonts, the Creative Audigy 7 is still widely available at very reasonable prices.  I have used one for some time (to get better sounding pipe organ notes) and it works very well with NWC

Tony