Skip to main content
Topic: another modest proposal (Read 4688 times) previous topic - next topic

another modest proposal

I'm currently preparing a score that needs to be printed in landscape mode, which is reminding me that NWC doesn't store the printer setup for individual scores. Each time I come back to this piece, I have to reset my printer to landscape before printing (or viewing in print preview). If I forget and hit "print" without doing this, there is a lot of wasted effort, a lot of wasted breath, and a lot of rather blue air around my workspace ;-). Has this been a problem for others? It seems like a simple fix that would create a lot of good will for a small amount of programming time.

Cheers,

Bill

Re: another modest proposal

Reply #1
Concur. I'm sure organists will love it.

I don't think the paper type/size should be stored.

Printer magins need some careful consideration as well. Left, Top, Height, Width would work better for me than the current setup. I also think that NWC should absorb the "unprintable area" into the margins and warn if the resulting image will not fit in the printable area.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
Thanks, Rick. I agree with everything you added.

Reply #3
I don't want orientation stored either, since any particular score I'm working on will be printed in both orientations.  The full score will be landscape, but the individual parts will be portrait.  For me, it's just easier to reset the settings each time I print something.

Bill, I can't do anything for your need to turn the air blue, but I can suggest a way to save the paper.  Just print to pdf using pdfcreator.  Then you can view the result and if you like it, print the pdf file in hard copy. 

Reply #4
Well, perhaps storing orientation should be an option. That's the one thing I really need to have stored. But a "save orientation" checkbox on the editor options tab could take care of that (I'd suggest putting it in the printer setup dialog box, but it looks like it''s made from boilerplate code, which might be hard to modify).

Reply #5
For me, it's just easier to reset the settings each time I print something.
Then this change wouldn't affect you. Bill is just asking for the orientation to be stored in the document and used as the default rather than have the default assumed from the current printer configuration. You could still overrride it in the print dialog. As things are now, you can't print anything from Explorer that is landscape unless you have your default printer set to landscape which it seldom is.

This also makes it difficult to e-mail files to others for printing with the Viewer. Since this and highlight colors are not stored, I e-mail multipage tiffs instead of nwc files. There are about a half dozen computers out there with IrfanView installed on them instead of NoteWorthy Viewer. Who knows, some of them might be so impressed with the viewer that they would try and buy NoteWorthy.
Registered user since 1996