Skip to main content
Topic: Stretching space between notes (Read 3287 times) previous topic - next topic

Stretching space between notes

Is there a way in which parts can be written which allow for nasty turn overs for the players by stretching spaces to get to a suitable and turnable part of each page.   So far I have not been able to do this except by tedious and time consuming manipulation of stave size, font size etc;  Whatever you do like this it is almost impossible to get to a decent turn over for players.

Thanks   Geoff Dale

Re: Stretching space between notes

Reply #1
G'day Geoff,
yeah, that can be a problem all right.

I usually do what you've already spoken of, but add to it some judicious system breaks...

E.G sometimes using a slightly smaller staff metric, and using that to give me some extra choices to use a system break.  (Barline property - only affects the top staff though the paramater can be added to any bar line on any staff)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Staff size (in points) and font sizes are more important to the overall readability of the score. Get these right first, then worry about page breaks.

NoteWorthy does not have a Page Break option (it is much wished for). However, a Force System Break can be set on any barline (it will only have an effect it it is on the topmost staff that is displayed). Use this where you want the page turn to be. Then fiddle with the Page Margins, the Vertical Size: Upper of the topmost staff and the Vertical Size: Lower of the bottommost staff until the page breaks at the system break you set. You may have to add System breaks to other barlines to get a proper balance to the overall note spacing.

There is more flexability in NWC2, but no "magic bullet".
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
A page break has been in the wish list for a long time. 

Reply #4
You can lengthen the print of a bar by using  Insert Text (X), but instead of characters just insert spaces in the editor and select 'Expression Placement' tab and tick the 'Preserve Width' box. you can do this as much as you like between notes to "stretch"  a bar or bars out to fit a page and together as mentioned before with force break you can organise your format better.