Skip to main content
Topic: gliss (Read 5635 times) previous topic - next topic

gliss

Can notes be glissed on noteworthy and how can this be done?

Re: gliss

Reply #2
If I understand a Glissando correctly, it means you slide from one note to another. On a discrete note instrument like a piano, this can easily be faked with grace notes. Just place a grace note for every note you want played, ending with a regular note. If you force all the grace note stems in the same direction it does not even look too bad. This will not work so well for a continuous instrument.

By the way, it seems that no matter what duration I pick for grace notes, they always sound the same. Are the stems just for looks?

Re: gliss

Reply #3
A true glissando cannot be notated in NWC as of yet. The only way to make a glissando sound in NWC is to enter a stream of small-value notes, or grace notes. If you want a true glissando (such as that which can be done with a trombone or a violin) use NWC's ability to insert Multi-Point controller commands. You should use the Pitch Bend controller with a linear sweep. You can slide in to the note by starting with a negative value and approaching zero. Or you can gliss up or down by starting on zero and going up or down. However, I don't think the actual values are standard. Glissandos produced via this method will sound unpredictable on different soundcards. If you want to listen to an example of such being employed, visit my site:

http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/6494

go to the My Compositions, and listen to my Fantasy for Trombone, or, for the second movement of my Three Movements for Brass Quintet. (And if you really want to see the notation, e-mail me and I'll send the NWC file to you!).