Skip to main content
Topic: How to display an invisible text in order to select it and delete it? (Read 7054 times) previous topic - next topic

How to display an invisible text in order to select it and delete it?

Hello,
Sorry, I'm a little lost... I speack french and spannish and I don't feel comfortable with the language, the forum and NWC!! I'm reading a lot of instructives things but I'm not able to find what I need: I edeted a blues with success and I want to write under the tittle "cuatro manos". I did it with "insert/text/expression placement/staff position (20)". I can see this subtittle in the page "setup/preview" but not in the active window. Now, I need to select this subtittle to change it or to delete it but I don't know what to do thus I don't see this text when I'm on the active window.
I hope you will understand...
Thank you very much!

Re: How to display an invisible text in order to select it and delete it?

Reply #1
The following steps will allow you change or delete this text:

1) Select Edit->Find
2) Enter "cuatro manos" into the expression field, Press OK
3) Now, you can use Edit->Properties to change this text, or the Delete key to remove it

If you want to see text far above or below a staff, you can also (temporarily) change the height of a staff by going to Staff->Staff Properties, Visual tab, Upper and Lower vertical size.

See also:

FAQ - How do I make more space between staves so the notes do not intersect?
http://ntworthy.com/composer/faq/11.htm

FAQ - Is there a find feature for notes and symbols?
http://ntworthy.com/composer/faq/30.htm

FAQ - Is there a way to quickly edit symbols?
http://ntworthy.com/composer/faq/9.htm

FAQ - How do I delete text I have without deleting the notes?
http://ntworthy.com/composer/faq/25.htm

Reply #2
Thank you very much!!!!!!
It works!!! Im' so happy!
An other details: I had to write "8va - - - - - - -" above the right hand piano in order to indicate that it is playing one octave higher. I enter the " - - - -" in the text box (insert/text/expression) but I see it's very difficult to obtain a correct line from the beguining of the score until the end. Does it exist a method? Thank you for answer! I hope one day to be able to help somebody else!

Reply #3
You don't need the - - -  line if you use the word Loco at the end.  That tells the musician to quit transposing.

Reply #4
Hello!
Sorry, I  don't understand  what you mean... Introduce the word "Loco" at the end, but where?? In order to write "8va- - - -" above the right hand staff and during all the score... (It is a piano four hands for beginners and the melody is the same for both hands, one in the octave higher and I have to mention it).

What is the meaning of "loco" (in spanisch, this word means "mad"... ) If it's a joke, I cant' understand because of the mother tongue!! But I'm learning!!
Thank you, have a good day!

Reply #5
You could use a staff with an 8 above it, like:
Code: [Select · Download]
|Clef|Type:Treble Clef|OctaveShift:Octave Up|Visibility:Default
Copy that and paste that into NWC.  If you use NWC2, paste:
Code: [Select · Download]
|Clef|Type:Treble|OctaveShift:Octave Up|Color:0|Visibility:Default

Reply #6
What is the meaning of "loco" (in spanisch, this word means "mad"... ) If it's a joke, I cant' understand because of the mother tongue!!

No, no, not at all.  There's a really good dictionary of musical terms here http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheorydefs.htm

Loco (Italian, literally 'place', particularly in the sense of 'in its proper place') means an instruction to play the notes as written, cancelling an earlier instruction to play an octave higher or lower than written

Instead of a long, long line of dashes ( - - - - - ), you just write 8va where you want the player to go up an octave, and write loco when it's time to play as written.  If that's at the end of the music, then maybe you don't need it.

If you do want to have a long line of dashes, you could insert this text immediately before the first raised note:
8va - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -    Make it left justified, placed at next note.

Just before the last note, insert this text, centre justified, at next note:
--|

every few bars, insert this text, centre, next note:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - -

You can make that line longer or shorter if you wish.  If you make these dashed lines long enough they will touch each other, and you will have a long continuous dashed line.  Sometimes you will end up with this
- - - -- - - - - so you just add a space in one of the text entries to move the dashes a little.

I think it's better to use 8va and loco if your dashed line takes up more than one "system" (group of staffs) particularly if there are other instructions and some leger lines, but it's up to you to decide what you like best. 

...and your written English is pretty good.  Welcome to the Forum. 

Reply #7
....and if you want the music to sound an octave higher during playback in NWC, as well as look right on the page, then in addition to what David suggests, you will want to add a new clef at the beginning of the 8va section that tells NWC to play that section an octave higher. Assuming you are in treble clef:

• place a new treble clef
  • highlight the new clef and press [alt][enter]
  • in the "notation properties" box, change the "octave shift" field from "none" to "octave up."

The following music will now sound an octave higher. Be sure to place a normal treble clef at the end of the 8va section. You can make both clefs invisible, if you want to - their effect will remain the same.

And let me add my welcome to David's.

Cheer,

Bill

Reply #8
You can make both clefs invisible, if you want to - their effect will remain the same.
Unless you decide to actually print it. There will be no Clefs visible at the start of any line after the invisible clef. You will have to find where these places are and put a visible Clef in.

In NWC2, you will simply use 2 Instrument patches instead. One will transpose +12, the other will transpose +0
And let me add my welcome to David, et. al ...
Registered user since 1996

Reply #9
Hello every body!
Thank you very much! You are all - virtuosos and tester - number one!!

I not only discover NWC but a wonderfull human help. And it's also very good for my english! So, I did every thing you advise me. The dictionnary, the treble clef... Except the dashes (and I would like to do it!!) just to take up the challenge! I've got a little success but the line is not exactly where I want. Sometimes, the line exceed the system and it's look ugly. But I see that only in the "preview" window.
Is it possible to select again the "text" (the dashes) in order to make the line shorter or longer, exactly above the staves and nothing in the margins??... May be I'm too much demanding??... (I'm a swiss woman, living in Gran Canaria!).

The "loco" method is in fact more simple. But I see that the for hands I have here (printed music) are all with dashes.
But keep it easy! I'm very glad for the moment and thank you again.

Best wishes. Romy

Reply #10
The Canary Islands! Here in the southwest corner of Canada it is a cool, rainy day as winter approaches, and you're enjoying a clear day with a temperature of 23 degrees celsius.  Sigh. 

Is it possible to select again the "text" (the dashes) in order to make the line shorter or longer, exactly above the staves and nothing in the margins?

You can edit most things.  Select the little sign that anchors the text, and press the Control key at the same time as you press the e.  A window pops up, and you just change what you'd like.  You would just click in the text string, and delete a few - - characters.

Sometimes, the lines exceed the system and it's look ugly. But I see that only in the "preview" window.

The way to solve this is to use fewer dashes in each text entry, and in the last bar of a line, add another text entry of dashes between  the last note of the bar and the bar line.  Make it right aligned, and it won't run past the end of the staff.

Reply #11
Thank you very much, David! Every thing is now OK! The only problem I see is that the result in the active window, in the preview window and, finally printed on the paper is no exactly the same. (Only with the line of the dashes)And I have to "swing" all with that. I'm a little frustrated because I understand all you tell me and it's work. Except in the screen.
For example: I can see a perfect line of dashes insert with three different points (left and right justified) and when I want to verify in the "preview" there are larges spaces between the lines, like that" -------        --------". And I don't see that while I'm working! And to correct that, I have to insert the lines one over the other (sorry, I hope you will understantd!)
It's the only problem I met. But, thanks to you, and with patience, the result is perfect.

It is a true pleasure to work with NWC and with a so wonderful and helpful team! And so far through the ocean! Yours sincerely Rm

Reply #12
Good morning, Romy (or from my point of view, good evening, it's not quite midnight yet).

Yes, you have to get used to the fact that what you see is not what you might actually get. 

I can see a perfect line of dashes insert with three different points (left and right justified) and when I want to verify in the "preview" there are larges spaces between the lines, like that" -------        --------". And I don't see that while I'm working! And to correct that, I have to insert the lines one over the other (sorry, I hope you will understand!)

I sometimes use several centre-justified dashed line text entries so there is overlap in the edit window.  What you see in Print Preview should be what prints, so as long as you can get it to look right on Print Preview, you should be okay.  It's easy enough to jump back and forth between the edit and print preview windows, I think.  And it wouldn't be fun if it was too easy!!

Reply #13
What you see in Print Preview should be what prints, so as long as you can get it to look right on Print Preview, you should be okay.

Add this caveat:
The Print Preview is only truly accurate at the maximum magnification (easiest way to get there is right-click once from the default magnification).

I don't know the fine points, but I understand it has to do with how Windows manages screenfonts. I observe the same anomalies in other applications, notable Word, Publisher and other apps that (one would think) would work "perfectly" with Windows.
Half decade old advice that is still valid.

It's easy enough to jump back and forth between the edit and print preview windows, I think.
I disagree. It should be a single key to toggle back and forth. Esc, F8 and F10 seem available.

It would also be of great help if there was an Editor Option: Always enable Layering in Print Preview. If this automatically applied to printing, much paper could be saved and I would rarely need to Toggle Layering. How often does anyone intend to print layered staves unlayered? Ever?
Registered user since 1996

Reply #14
How often does anyone intend to print layered staves unlayered? Ever?

Actually, there is a standard use for printing staves unlayered - in SATB choral music, which is printed sometimes on two staves and sometimes on four, a situation that is easily dealt with in NWC by writing each part on a separate staff and then layering the men's and women's parts as needed to create a two-staff version. This is, in fact, the way the SATB template is set up.

However, I think I agree that the default in print preview and for printing should be layered - as long as there is an easy way to override. It would save me a lot of cursing when I find yet again that I've forgotten to turn layering back on.

As to the ease of shifting to print preview - aw, gee, Rick, the button's right there in the button bar ;-)

(I have to admit I'm an anomaly among longtime [since 1995] & heavy NWC users, in that I do use the mouse a lot. As I mentioned to David in another thread, this may be because my "mouse" is a trackball, which is more accurate and a lot easier on the forearms than a regular mouse. Everyone should try one sometime.)

Cheers to all -

Bill

Reply #15
For me, Alt-F V is faster than F8 or F10. That is because Alt-F V is right under my hands - I can find them with my eyes closed. Escape to go back to edit mode. Also, I am used to Alt-F V. It's the same in Word (although it will not be in Office 2007 anymore! Shame on M$oft!) and Excel.

I do completely agree with the layering wish. Preview or Print should default to 'layered'. Why indeed should one ever wish it otherwise? A waste of trees.