Skip to main content
Topic: Multiple Staff Lines on a screen page (Read 4515 times) previous topic - next topic

Multiple Staff Lines on a screen page

As a very inexperienced user of NWC (version 1.75b) - I have just entered my first tune - I can't see how to have multiple Staff lines displayed on my computer screen.   When I enter 16 bars (4/4 time) of notes they go way across, and way beyond, the screen page on one set of Staff lines (the top-most Staff).   The tune plays OK but I can't print it out.   I can insert additional Staff lines but they seem to be attached to the original set of Staff lines and if I insert notes into the additional Staff lines, they do not play as part of the tune - it only plays the top-most Staff line's notes.
With Vista I can't get on-line help either - most frustrating

Re: Multiple Staff Lines on a screen page

Reply #1
Do you use barlines? (tab)

Reply #2
NWC 1.75c is better for Vista. As for NWC1 help, you can enable it by downloading a Vista version of WinHelp:

FAQ - Accessing Help on Windows Vista
http://ntworthy.com/composer/faq/103.htm

As for forcing system breaks, this is explained here:

FAQ - Is there a line break command?
http://ntworthy.com/composer/faq/33.htm

See also:

Search NoteworthySoftware.com for 'vista'
http://ntworthy.com/search.php?term=vista

Reply #3
   Hi, Bill.

When you've had a chance to read the Help Files you'll find the solution to your problem.

Briefly, however: on the screen Noteworthy displays the music as a single system (of however many staves you want), so it's a long strip starting somewhere on the left and with its end somewhere on the right, and in playback the music scrolls left a screen at a time along the strip.  BUT, when printing Noteworthy wraps everything round properly, so you get one, two or more systems per page, just like you'd expect.  You can also force a system break ... but NOT a new page.

Good luck!

MusicJohn 25/Oct/07

Reply #4
G'day Bill,
welcome to the forum.

In addition to what John said, you can also see what will print out by using the print preview facility.

Two ways, the "page with a magnifying glass" icon on a tool bar OR from the File menu...

NWC does not show a true WYSIWYG editor screen.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
Thanks Guys,
I didn't realise it should be one long line of music - I have always had systems that displayed as WYSIWYG.
Now I know - and I can see from the example that I can force a line break character (associated with a Bar Line).
So many thanks guys - I spent ages fruitlessly trying to make the system do something it was never designed to do.
I may seem mundane to you guys but believe me I really do appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to 'sort me out' (in the nicest possible way, of course).
Bill515

Reply #6
Don't feel at all stupid.  This exact problem ties up many new users, and we get quite a few of people with that problem here.  When I got NWC, I was confused, so I understand completely.

Reply #7
...and Bill, that's why we all participate in the forum.  You'll find an opportunity to help someone else sooner or later.  It's kind of fun, particularly when we end up with several different ways to do the same thing.