Skip to main content
Topic: Title Printing and other problems (Read 9143 times) previous topic - next topic

Title Printing and other problems

Greetings!

I need some assistance with troubleshooting. When I go to print the title of a song I'm trying to print, the title is not printing and the the page numbering starts at "31" rather than the page number I input, which was "16".  I don't have this problem with other song files. I've tried re-installing NWC 2, redoing the entire file, and yet the problem persists. Can anyone shed some light on what I can do to get this song to print the title and correctly paginate? Thanks for your help in advance!!

Signzak

Re: Title Printing and other problems

Reply #1
G'day signzak,
which version of NWC are you using?

With v1.75, I'm pretty sure that the print routine counts pages from the start of the work, it doesn't take into account page numbering you may have defined within the file.

I sure there's been a change in the print routine with the release of beta 2.20 such that page selection now corresponds with the numbering within the NWC file.

Sooo, if you're using 1.75 or pre beta 2.20 of NWC2 then you need to print page 1 to get the first page (regardless of page  numbering withing the NWC file), V2 beta 2.20 you want the page number as NWC2 displays it...

Make sense?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Is it correct in Print Preview?

Reply #3
Greetings!!

Thanks for your posts! I am currently using NWC 2.20.  I've tried both your suggestions, and what happens is this: When I set the pagination starting with page 16 (I'm currently trying to successfully prepare a series of pieces for publication), I lose the title. When I set it to "1", it comes out fine. Funny thing, though -- when I bring the selection up on Print Preview, in both instances, it looks fine -- but when I go to print it out, the only setup recognized is when I set the start page to page "1". I never had this problem with all the NWC2 releases until 2.20. Very confusing!!

Any recommendations??

Signzak

Reply #4
If I'm understanding you correctly then I think it could be a bug introduced with the pagination changes in beta 2.20...

Reply #5
If it's correct in print preview, then the rendering engine is getting it right. I suspect Lawrie is correct about it being a bug in the new print routines, which release 2.20 did alter. Here's the relevant entry in the release notes:

# File, Print, Print range should use starting page number specified in File, Page Setup

I would guess this is a bug Eric will want to fix soon, but he will have to make that decision. Until then, I suggest printing the title page with the starting page set to 1 (it doesn't carry a number anyhow), and then printing the rest of the file with the correct page numbers. Hope this helps....

Reply #6
I think the titles only appear on the true page 1.  If you need to start printing elsewhere in the document, if you know where the centre of the top system of your first page will be, I suggest using a text entry to place the title appropriately. 

The issue of page numbering when printing from the middle of a file was discussed in a thread within the past week or two, but I can't find it.

Using a pdf printing utility might help with everything except the title.  Print the entire song to it, and then print just the pages you need, using Acrobat Reader.

PDFCreator, freeware that is available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/ is what I use.  A search through the NWC forums for "pdf" will give you the names of others as well.

To get your title on your first printed page "legitimately," just make a new copy of your entire file, and eliminate the music before the spot you want to print from.  You can use Page Setup/Options to start the page numbering from 16 or whatever.

Reply #7
Well, as you say, David, the title info will only print at the beginning of the file - but the page number can be anything. This capability goes back some distance into version I: I have pieces with multiple movements printed at least as far back as 2001 with correct pagination and title info for all movements. So signzak's problem is new. But you are right that it has to be the first page of the file. It would be nice to be able to stick titles in anywhere, so we could combine multiimoevement works into a single file, but there are things that are higher priority.

Reply #8
Yes, but maybe I didn't make it clear in
You can use Page Setup/Options to start the page numbering from 16 or whatever.
that if your new file is page 16 to the end of your composition, the new file can be set to have its first page numbered 16.

Reply #9
If you send your *.nwc file as an e-mail attachment, we can review it and e-mail our impressions back to you.

Reply #10
   The same problem happened when I tried to print the "NWCTXT complete example file", in that print preview showed the title info and the first page was numbered "3", but when it was actually printed, the title info got lost and the page was numbered "5".  Certainly, however the choice of when to print title info is made, the print preview and actual printout should match.

Reply #11
Right, bidderxyzzy. And can I say....this is much closer to the tone we've been trying to get in your other posts to this forum. Thanks.

Reply #12
     The problem does not occur in 2.19.

Reply #13

The SATB template still starts with page number 5. It is nearly useful in a way, though. At times, when I find a Noteworthy score on the Internet, the page number starts with 5. It serves as an indicator "Hey, you used the SATB template".

cheers, Rob.

Reply #14
A little further investigation reveals:

NWCTXT example - page numbering starts at 3, previews fine, prints as page 5 without title info.
SATB template - page numbering starts at 5, previews fine, prints as page 9 withought title info...

The difference between the specified starting page number and the printed one is not even consistent - what the?

This is also happening when printing to a PDF with PDFMachine - as one would expect.

Further testing using NWCTXT:
Start Page Setting:    Printed Page Number:
1blank - with title info
2 3 - no title
3 5 - ditto
4 7 - ditto
5 9 - ditto
611 - ditto
713 - ditto
815 - ditto
917 - ditto
1019 - ditto
1121 - ditto
1223 - ditto
Hmm, anyone apart from me seeing a pattern here?

Reply #15
Er... 2 x n - 1 ?

Reply #16
Confirmed as a bug. We will include a fix in the next release.

ps. This is what I get for saying a change was "trivial."

Reply #17
Fixed in beta 2.21, which is available now.

Reply #18
G'day NoteWorthy Online,
ps. This is what I get for saying a change was "trivial."

:)  Ya get that.

Thanks for the quick update.

Reply #19
Thanks to all of you for the resolution of this problem! (I apologize the lateness for this msg -- I've been hit with some medical complications and am just now catching up!)

Zak

Reply #20
Wish you the speedy recovery, if any is needed at this stage!