Skip to main content
Topic: Probably it's a stupid question but... (Read 4106 times) previous topic - next topic

Probably it's a stupid question but...

Hi all.

I opened a file I dowloaded from scriptorium and discovered that in the print preview the score showed up being gigantic: just a bar per page!

(Off topic: as I already suggested trough the wish list, why in the print preview the page-up, page-down, home and end keys don't do what they are used to do?)

I went to the Page setup dialog looking for the well known "staff size" parameter and I discovered it's no more present.
I remembered having read somewhere that Eric changed it for something more flexible and powerful so I wandered in almost all the dialogs but I wasn't able to find anything useful.

Last resort (when all else fails, read the instructions...): a search in the help.
I wasn't able to find anything in the index so I tried with the "find" tab.
Well, the relevant argument names were:
IDH_DLGPRINTCLASSIC2
IDH_DLGPRINTCLASSIC11
IDH_PGSETUPSTAFFSZRESCALE
A little bit cryptic, aren't they? ;-)
Anyway, even in the explication there is no clear indication where to look for the staff size parameter.

I think I'm overlooking something obvious.

Cheers
Maurizio

Re: Probably it's a stupid question but...

Reply #1
I don't see an icon or command in print preview to control the zoom, but I think you'll find clicking in the print preview window a couple of times will change the size back to where you want it.  It seems to have 4 or 5 zoom levels.

Reply #2
The well known "staff size" parameter is now accessed as: File->Page Setup...->Fonts->Change...
A window pops up called: Staff Size and Notation Typeface
Modify the value in the Staff Size:  spinbox.

The help files are a mess due to some changes in Vista. A tough time for casual users.

David: Flumy is concerned with print preview. Zoom won't change it. (thankfully)
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
That's it! Thank you Rick.
I knew I was overlooking something trivial.
By the way: why not to put the controls of the "Change" subdialog directly in the "Fonts" tabs?
IMHO it will be easier to understand where to operate.

Cheers
Maurizio

Reply #4
Flumy is concerned with print preview. Zoom won't change it.

Print preview does display different zoom levels when you click inside the print preview window.  I agree, however, that the zoom level in the edit window ought not to affect the display in print preview.

Reply #5
G'day David,
umm, it doesn't...  I'm sure it doesn't...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #6
In my best Godfrey the Gadfly Gadabout mode, I most humbly submit the attached image, showing what happens when I single click inside the print preview window.  From left to right, no click, one click, two clicks, three clicks, four clicks.

This happens in both NWC 2 and 1.75 and it happens now, with XP Pro, and it happened when I had Win 98 and likely when I had Millenium.

So it is, so it was, and I assume so it shall continue.  I like it most times.

Reply #7
Oh DASH it.  I messed up again. 

I'm sorry David, I meant your second statement, not the first.  As you've shown, the first is absolutely correct. 

BTW, did you know that if you right click instead you go around the other way?  I.E biggest to next smaller etc. until you're back where you started from.

<snip first statement>
I agree, however, that the zoom level in the edit window ought not to affect the display in print preview.

That's the bit I meant when I said it didn't...  Sorry mate.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
By the way: why not to put the controls of the "Change" subdialog directly in the "Fonts" tabs?

This method creates a discrete opportunity to proportionately scale the other fonts based on your changes to the notation font size.