Skip to main content
Topic: Music not playing back (Read 2794 times) previous topic - next topic

Music not playing back

When I go to play my music, I get a message:

"Midi Device Warning"
One or more of your selected MIDI devices are failing to open.
Would you like to go to the MIDI options tab to investigate?"

I click yes and I go to the MIDI options tab, which looks like this:

Available Play Devices:
Microsoft GS Wavetable SW?????
NVIDIA(R) DLS Synthesizer

Devices Used
Microsoft MIDI Mapper

Play:

From current measure

Port Usage:

Always

What's my problem??

Thanks,

John Mahony

Re: Music not playing back

Reply #1
G'day John,
the "Microsoft MIDI Mapper" will normally default to the "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth.." unless you change it in control panel (assuming you're not using vista 'cos then you can't change it without a registry hack).

You might try de-selecting the MIDI Mapper and directly selecting one of the other synths.  If you select the Microsoft GS one and still get the warning it is likely that you have something else running that has opened the synth.

Close all other programs that would open a MIDI port and try again...

Example are:
NWC Viewer
media player
Van Bascos karaoke player
etc..
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
John,

I may be telling you what you already know, but :-

In the Options window you have on the left a list of devices. - in the window on the right you should have at least one device -  it looks as if you have Midi Mapper and this isn't working..
I suggest that you remove this by  clicking on the Midi Mapper  label. this will highlight a  left facing arrow in between the two boxes; click on this and Midi Mapper wll move to the left. Then in the same way move one of the other devces into the empty box on the right. Try the  Microsoft GS wavetable  . This should work  for you

Tony

Reply #3
If you selected the MIDI Mapper as your lone play back device, and you get an error message, then the device failed to open. This can be caused by a setup problem on the system, or because some other software is already using the device.