Skip to main content
Topic: Server upgrade, possible service interruption (Read 3637 times) previous topic - next topic

Server upgrade, possible service interruption

We will be performing planned system maintenance activities in the afternoon (EDT) on Wednesday, 8 August 2007. If all goes well, this event should be transparent for most users. However, some loss of service is possible throughout the afternoon, especially with regard to the newsgroups. If there are newsgroup issues, I will post more details here when I know them.

Regards,

Eric,
http://noteworthysoftware.com

Re: Server upgrade, possible service interruption

Reply #1
Our web server is back up and should be functioning normally.

The newsgroup server is currently unavailable.

Reply #2
The newsgroup server is up and working.

Reply #3
Boy you're good ;-)

Hardware Upgrade

Reply #4
We will be moving onto new, faster hardware in the afternoon of Wednesday 29-August-2007.

As with the software upgrade earlier this month, this process should be transparent for most users. However, a significant loss of service
is possible throughout the afternoon on Wednesday.

Reply #5
This reminds me to share my experiences over the past week.  My ISP crashed its email server on Wednesday, and its backup system went down too, so I no email for a few days.  They replaced the hardware and restored service late Friday, but by Saturday night were having problems again.  By Sunday, things were almost back to normal (some tweaking needed to be done).

So they're up and running, until...

Sunday night, someone tried to steal the cable the company uses for cablevision service to my community, and we lost all email service again, but also all internet service and all television.

I feel very sorry for the people working there. 

Around here in recent years, we have had a lot of metal thefts.  Apparently there's very high demand in China.  Thieves will climb utility poles to cut the wire, and have been known to break into the electrical transformer cabinets in housing subdivisions.  For the few dollars they can make, there's a heck of a lot of trouble caused.  And risk.  One or two have been electrocuted.  Fatally.

Reply #6
Almost done...one more short down period is expected later this afternoon.

Reply #7
Upgrade completed. We are now running on new, faster hardware.