Skip to main content
Topic: NWC2 Clip Text in the new forum (Read 97249 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC2 Clip Text in the new forum

G'day all,
I just did a quick test using preview and found that NWC2 clip text is not handled the way of the old forum.  (I kinda expected that but I did hope)

I confess that I found that feature very useful for quick demo's.

Eric, is it possible to include that feature in the new code or are we relegated to attachments?

Also, some real smileys would be nice (not too many though).

TIA,
Lawrie  :)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: NWC2 Clip Text in the new forum

Reply #1
looking at the posts eric has ported to this forum, you should be able to get relatively the same effect with the <Image Link>code button.

like so..

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Bass
|Key|Signature:Bb
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:4
|Note|Dur:4th,Dotted,Slur|Pos:4
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:3
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:2
|Bar
|Note|Dur:8th,Slur|Pos:3
|Note|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:2
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:0
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:6
|Note|Dur:8th,Slur|Pos:2
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:0
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:2
|Clef|Type:Treble|OctaveShift:Octave Down
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:1
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:4
|Bar
|Note|Dur:8th,Slur|Pos:4
|Note|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:1
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:1
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-1
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-1
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:2
|Bar
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:1
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:2
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:2
|Bar
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:1^
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:1
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:2
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:4
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:2
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th,Dotted,Slur|Pos:-1
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-2
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-3
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-3
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:1
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #2
G'day Francis,

looking at the posts eric has ported to this forum, you should be able to get relatively the same effect with the <Image Link>code button.

Unfortunately if you right click and select all in order to copy and paste you end up with the whole web page :(

Also, the clip text isn't in a scroll box so it has the potential to make postings very long.

Lawrie

Reply #3
Ah interesting.  IIRC, the NWC code snippits in the old NWC2 forum were originally div's and had the same problem if you did a select all.  Since I assumed that nothing had changed, I gave up on select all.  Now I see they've changed to textarea's in the old nwc forum, which, because of their primary use as an input method, do let you use a select all.  As far as a scroll bar, interestingly enough there is one in FX (but not in IE).  Considering Eric's strong knowledge of php, I wonder if the code function could be converted to a textarea...
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #4
The nature of the underlying message store in SMF makes textarea clip text presentation fairly unlikely. However, I do plan to make code sections more user friendly as time permits, especially for users of IE (add scroll bars and a JavaScript Copy to clipboard function). I also will consider making clip text automatically add as code sections (you have to add the code sections at the moment).

For now, here are some simple tips for NWC clip text:

• always surround clip text with the code tag (the # icon on the toolbar)
  • for IE users, a mouse triple click in a code box will select everything in the box

Reply #5
  • a mouse triple click in a code box will select everything in the box
not in Fx . . .

However, the old "click once at the start; shift click at the end" rule does work.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #6
Thanks Francis. I was thinking of IE when I wrote that tip.

In IE, large code blocks should now use a vertical scroll bar.

Reply #7
Hello again.  I just fired up IE.  I can verify that the scrollbars now appear for long blocks of "code."  However, I cannot, on this lab machine, get triple clicking to work.  The shift-click method does work for me.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #8
G'day Eric,

In IE, large code blocks should now use a vertical scroll bar.

Got the scroll bars, but the triple click is not a happening thing for me yet :(

Unfortunately I cannot easily move from IE due to limitations in some of the products I need to support.  Thanks to M$ "customisation" of what should have been a standard they simply don't work properly in Mozilla/FF etc. yet - some day perhaps...

Hmm, just realised that the "Acronym" tag is missing - is that a feature that can be implemented in this new forum software?

Lawrie

Reply #9
Using IE on Win98SE:
Triple click selects all unless there is a scroll bar. Then it just selects a word.

A problem:
The mouse wheel lets me scroll the page until the pointer is over a code area with a scoll bar.
Then it scrolls the code area. IMHO, it would be better to require a click in the code area to use the wheel to scroll there.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #10
I'm afraid browsers are "going to do what they are going to do" in this regard. If you keep your mouse pointer off to the right (out of the areas where code appears), you might be able to get the result you want (depends on what is implementing your mouse wheel scroll, and how it is doing it) .

Reply #11
Keeping the mouse to the left works fine. thanks.

Reply #12

The lucky users of Mozilla and Firefox can benefit of a neat extension called BBCode to paste clipboard text directly as code (and more).

With some patience you can add other tags not included within the extension or change the defaults. ;)

Reply #13
Lawrie,
Unfortunately I cannot easily move from IE due to limitations in some of the products I need to support.  Thanks to M$ "customisation" of what should have been a standard they simply don't work properly in Mozilla/FF etc. yet - some day perhaps...

I just installed Mozilla Firefox and find I can run both IE and FF at the same time.  You probably could access this forum with FF, running it alongside IE, without making it your default browser.

Reply #14
G'day David,
Lawrie,  
I just installed Mozilla Firefox and find I can run both IE and FF at the same time.  You probably could access this forum with FF, running it alongside IE, without making it your default browser.

Thanks for the tip.  I'm a bit reluctant to manage 2 browsers but if I find that the limitations of IE on this forum become too annoying I'll certainly take it up.

Lawrie

Reply #15
Hi Lawrie,
I was reluctant too, but there's nothing to it. 

Mozilla imports your IE favourites, and until you turn it off, when you check No, you get a little window asking if you want to make it your default browser.

If you don't have it in your startup menu, it doesn't open unless you call it.  When installing, if you place it in your QuickLaunch bar, you'll be able to open it with a single click "down there." 

I haven't found any clear advantage to FF yet, so I use it once in a while.  It seems to behave much the same way as IE, so I see no reason to abandon IE, which I must use at work as well.

Reply #16
Please stay tuned....this community area should not give you a reason to change from IE (you may have other reasons though).

Reply #17

The lucky users of Mozilla and Firefox can benefit of a neat extension called BBCode to paste clipboard text directly as code (and more).

Unfortunately, BBCode does not work with the new version (1.5) of Mozilla Firefox...
Wilm Boerhout

Reply #18

Shame on Firefox. ;) Maybe a compatible version of the extension would be released soon?

I'm sticking to Mozilla (proper) as my main browser.

Reply #19
Using IE on Win98SE: Triple click selects all unless there is a scroll bar. Then it just selects a word.
Using IE on Win 7: Triple click selects all

Reply #20
Using IE on Win 7: Triple click selects all
IE11 on Windows 8.1 also does this.

However, Chrome does not. Triple clicking will only select a single line.

Reply #21
If it's on the clipboard, start NWC and then Cntl/Shift/V .
Since 1998