Skip to main content
Topic: Copy Special, Fonts, and Colors (Read 11993 times) previous topic - next topic

Copy Special, Fonts, and Colors

When I use Copy Special so I can paste it into an MS Word document, it only copies what is between the initial bar line and the double bar at the end, not the initial bar and double bar lines themselves.  How can I change this?

Can I change the font used in lyrics?  (I want to use Arial rather than Times Roman.)

Can I change the color from blue to black so it is pasted into my MS Word document in black?
Open hearts. Open minds. Open doors.®

Re: Special Copy, Fonts, and Colors

Reply #1
try putting a special bar line, section open, at the beginning and special barline, section close at the end

Re: Copy Special, Fonts, and Colors

Reply #2
Thank you, Christian.  That gave me an acceptable initial bar line, but the double bar at the end is followed by staff lines between it and the "final" double bar.

Making progress!  :-)

Reply #3
Go to File, Page Setup, choose Fonts tab, put selection bar on Staff Lyric, Modify button.
That should get you going in the right fonts direction.
cheers,
Rob.
<hey, we're all on line! What a coincidence - or is it?>

Reply #4
It worked!  :-)  Thanks, friend!

Reply #5
To change the color of the selected Staff from blue, goto Tools, Options, Color and change the color of the Active Staff.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #6
Yes. But even then, copy and paste into Word does not copy the colour attribute.
That is how I interpreted the question.

Reply #7
David,
one thought has crossed my mind...

Why are you using "Copy Special"?  I know that it has a specific purpose and you may well be using it for those reasons, which is fine.

However, it has occurred to me that you might actually be better served by a "copy" from the preview screen...

IIRC, Copy Special gives you a portion of the current selection only.  In my testing it couldn't get the whole staff, it stopped at 12 bars.  I could select less, but if I selected more, I still only got 12 bars...

OTOH, Copy from the preview screen gives you the entire page that is currently displayed.

Might this be a better solution?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
Even worse: if notes are too far from the bar itself, so if they are outside the black rectangle, they don't make it onto the clipboard.
I would recommend Gadwin PrintScreen. It's free, simple, no popups, no drawbacks. It enables you to grab a rectangle from the screen. You then have it in the clipboard, ready to be pasted where you like.

Reply #9
Thank you all for your suggestions.  I now have the Active Staff in black, which saves me a step after I cut and paste it.  But I still can't copy the entire score (4 or 5 measures, including the final double bar) so that I can paste it into Word.

In case you are wondering what I am doing, I am a pastor who from time to time has to place a short musical response in our bulletin.  Currently I am doing "Prnt Scrn" from my keyboard, opening it in Paint, selecting just the musical score to copy, and then pasting it into my bulletin done in Word.

This works, but since I have gone through several steps it is a bit blurry, which it wouldn't be if I could go directly from Copy (Special) to pasting into Word.

Thank you again.

Reply #10
I use TechSmith Snagit ($39.95) for all my screen captures, because of its versatility.  One way I've found of getting decent graphical output is to print the score to a PDF file, open the file in Adobe Acrobat Viewer, zoom to whatever level I want, then "snagit" from the screen.  I can then paste that image into Word, and the resolution is usually pretty good.  Not a one-step process, but usually generates pretty nice results.
John

Reply #11
You need to set the Staff Ending to Open (hidden), and insert a section close as the last item on the staff. All this can then be copied (special) directly into Word and won't show the trailing staff lines.

Reply #12
♫ [glow=red,2,300]HALLELUJAH![/glow] ♫

You people are awesome!  You have answered my questions about copy special, fonts, and colors.  You are better than any technical support person located who knows where.  Thank you so very, very much.

Reply #13
An alternative screen capture program (free) is MWSnap.  You can get it at:

http://www.mirekw.com/

I haven't tried the others mentioned, but I do like this one, and haven't found anything I needed that I couldn't do.

Reply #14
Apology to Rick. Your suggestion was right.

Reply #15
David Roberts wrote

You are better than any technical support person located who knows where

This forum is just another little bit of the charm of NWC and its magic, David. 

Almost all the contributors in these forums are just people like you who bought the program and use it.  The only exceptions I am aware of are the people who are using the trial version and pop in with a few questions or comments, and Eric, who is the Noteworthy designer, and signs as NoteWorthy Online or Noteworthy Support.

Reply #16
Now that you are an official NWC2 Tester and you just want to convert small songs to a graphic, I can recommend this method:

Put just what you need into a song. Set the bottom of page margin to the highest value you can. From Print Preview, save it as an EMF file. Using IrfanView, crop the EMF to the size you want and save it as, e.g. a 16 color GIF.

This won't work with a full page of music. IrfanView will reduce the size to save memory.

Example attached.

Reply #17
But be aware that you can insert (insert picture) the emf file directly into Word (including full page) and crop it there as required.

Reply #18
This won't work with a full page of music. IrfanView will reduce the size to save memory.
IrfanView has improved. It will now work with a full page of music. PNG is also a better save option than GIF.