Skip to main content
Topic: V 2.17 Beta Observation: Print Flaw- Horizontal lines (i.e., staves) (Read 8348 times) previous topic - next topic

V 2.17 Beta Observation: Print Flaw- Horizontal lines (i.e., staves)

When a score is printed, the upper line of some staves is shadowed by a duplicate line. Changing page setup (top and bottom margins and/or unit of measure) changes the quantity, severity and location of the defective lines. Changing printer setup or resolution yields no change in the anomaly. Finer print resolution required in the software to compensate for printer irregularities?

Re: V 2.17 Beta Observation: Print Flaw- Horizontal lines (i.e., staves)

Reply #1
G'day acasson,
I think it's more likely a printer driver flaw - NWC has no problems of this nature that I am aware of, and be reassurred, it would not go unnoticed on this forum...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Thanks Lawrie. But, the driver's fine. It works well with other notation and graphics programs. The problem may be mechanical- the printer itself. Thus, finer tuned resolution would help in this area. As you may know, deviations from perfection exist in all things- the ability to finely tweak print alignment would be nice.

Reply #3
To see if the problem is with your printer or not, print it to pdf and look at it with Adobe Reader.  If the errors aren't shown there, then I think your problem is with your printer.  You can also print the file on another printer to see how it turns out there.

When identifying an issue, it helps the rest of us to help you if you describe your setup - i.e., Compaq laptop, Pentium III, Windows2000, Canon bubblejet printer, 14 inch LCD monitor set to 1024 x 768 resolution

Reply #4
You might try printing some of the smaller sample files (Mozart.nwc, for example). It prints fine for me.

I assume you are trying to send the output directly to a printer. Sending output to a file and then to a printer, or trying to print saved EMF files through another application can be a problem. If this is what you are trying to do, it would help to know what apps you are using as well as the things David mentioned.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
Thanks Lawrie. But, the driver's fine. It works well with other notation and graphics programs. The problem may be mechanical- the printer itself. Thus, finer tuned resolution would help in this area. As you may know, deviations from perfection exist in all things- the ability to finely tweak print alignment would be nice.

Hmm, if you are having a problem I can be very confident it is not NWC.  It is IMHO unreasonable to expect NWC to to be modified to correct the faulty behaviour of one printer.

That said, we often ask for improved printing controls, so while I consider your reason unjustified, I do agree with what I think is the main thrust of your suggestion - better control.

As for the printer - it is almost certainly a driver issue - about 95% probability in my professional opinion.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
Yep, David, the problem is in the printer, that's known. Nope, Lawry, the driver is fine, except for the possibility of engineering/production errors, i.e., calibration. There could be any number of causes. Frankly, I have no desire to remedy the situation. If publishers and players can read it, it's fine with me. I simply posted the point as a suggestion (this is a Beta) for NWC to heed or pitch. As I stated earlier, such variations in quality are bound to rise from time to time. I'd like to see NWC incorporate a bit of fine tuning for all the John and Jane Does who may not be able to dash out and replace a printer whose performance isn't quite par. Of course, I should have prefaced the original post with my intent. Then again, perhaps NWC should be like so many other hardware and software manufacturers- offer no option for seamless integration. Oh, BTW, no cats here- at least not the four-legged kind. But thanks for the video. Forgive me, but now  I must direct my attention toward fixing my computer's retractable cup holder- any ideas?

Reply #8
You did not say if you are using Vista, but...

With the release of Vista at the start of the year, many of the old driver bugs seem to have been reintroduced. For example, the "disappearing staff lines" problem has become a popular problem, AGAIN. In fact, our own Windows Vista computer has this particular driver bug (it uses integrated ATI Radeon x300 graphics).

See also:

FAQ - Disappearing Staff Lines
http://ntworthy.com/composer/faq/77.htm