Skip to main content
Topic: I Need Some Help With Transcription (Read 28624 times) previous topic - next topic

I Need Some Help With Transcription

I just found some great new music on the web and thought I would try to transcribe them into NWC, but I'm having a heck of a time transcribing these two pieces.  Maybe someone could help out.

<Image Link>

Here's the waltz:

<Image Link>

Here's the lament:

<Image Link>

Thanks,

John
John

Re: I Need Some Help With Transcription

Reply #1
Is this a joke?  Try Sibelius, it might manage it 

Tony

Reply #2
I managed to get some of the beginning of the first one in, it's attached.  ;-)
I'm interpreting the "<Image Link>" as "this is a joke".  Anyways, even Sibelius doesn't have 65536th notes.  Try LilyPond, I think that has an unlimited number of flags for a note.  :-)

Also, try listening to it.  [:-)

Reply #3
Hi, Kahman -

I think you forgot to insert the peanuts and I'm not sure you fully captured the adagio cantabile with a rock tempo feel.  Also, make sure you keep both feet together.

Wait till you get to the 1/66 against the 66/1 time signature on the bottom line, with the bicycle playing in 66/66 (if you don't have a bicycle, I understand you can substitute a moped with the engine off).

<Image Link>

John

Reply #4
I've given up.  I'll see if I could use lilypond.  Hey, getting the notes in was hard enough.
It says, "arranged by accident".  Sorry I couldn't help much.

Reply #5
I already tried the same song last month with no success.  I was forced to make a LOT of compromises:

The 256th notes at H, although this could be worked around with some tempo adjustments.
Also, NWC doesn't support the 66th note timing at N.
I believe just before D I had making several rubato adjustments in order to allow each note to be played in sequence (which wasn't too bad until I reached the last bit of the first measure of H).
F was pretty simple, and probably the easiest measure I reached  The composer just has crooked handwriting, so it's hard to read.
The last measure of H was quite painful, as the song is SO PAINFULLY SLOW!!!  (At least it would gave you time to read the note and possibly decide how to play it before it comes!)
The instrument patches were fun to place, like the gong and the glockenspiel and bongos and the saxes and the explosives (Gunshot).  I wasn't sure what type of instrument sounded like rigatoni, so I figured it was a tempo change and sped it up a bit to save about ten minutes on the playback time.

By the way, it's not worth all the time and effort.  It will LOOK almost nothing like the original, and it sounds like someone banging out two minutes of seemingly random notes until they repeat it nine more times, and then there's a bit of odd resting, followed by J, which was where I stopped keying it in because I realized I wasted a whole evening on a joke.  It was deleted from my desktop the next day (I saved it the night before only to make myself feel like I had accomplished something!)

By the way, what does a triple-prime above a Bbbb mean?

Oh, and I found the third movement for string quartet.  I wonder where the first violinist finds Sears violin?  I didn't think they made those.

<Image Link>

Reply #6

Oh, and I found the third movement for string quartet.  I wonder where the first violinist finds Sears violin?  I didn't think they made those.

Actually, Sears used to sell many different instruments.  I've still got a Sears Silvertone trumpet that was purchased probably back in the late 1960's.

I did find this quote on the web:

On the other hand, the old Sears Roebuck catalogs advertised inexpensive violin outfits that included a bow, case and instruction booklet for a dollar or two. If you find one of these intact, it is fairly rare, since most have long since fallen to pieces and were not worth repairing. These are truly worthless - the kind of instrument used to break over someone's head in a theatrical skit.

And it looks like you can even buy one from Craig's List:

1940's Era Sears And Roebuck Violin

John

Reply #7
This is about the limits of how wild you can make a file in NWC.  ;-)
Doesn't handle the huge slew of grace notes at the beginning too well.

Reply #8
Hi Bob,
I saw your page yesterday. Now it is gone. Any chance of posting it anywhere where we all can see it again?
<edit>  Never mind. It's just the computer at work that does not show this page.
cheers,
Rob.

Reply #9
This thing makes the rounds (no pun intended) every so often.  I last saw it on a music teachers' chatboard.

Reply #10
Only problem I can see is that Albuqureque is spelled wrong!

Reply #11
Good god! did the guys who wrote these actually expect people to play these? These are ridiculus.

Reply #12
Ever seen a score by George Crumb?  Or John Cage?  Not much easier!

http://rogerbourland.com/blog/2006/10/29/crumbs-graphic-scores/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebpaquet/1659162/

In one on a record jacket there are piano chords with instructions to hold the chord without sounding while playing a measure of so -- I suppose the idea is to have the strings free to vibrate sympatheticly.

http://www.mnt-aq.it/english/cianciusi_aria.htm

Scroll down to figure one, then sing your heart out.

We saw/heard a concert in which the score was a set of line tracing of the illustrations in a particular edition of Thoreau's Walden.  This was with the New York Philharmonic plus innumerable additional performers, each doing that ever they thought the "score" meant.  Cage himself happily bowed to the booing.  The title was "Apartment Renga 1776" (possibly misspelled, it's from memory 29 years old.

And, no, I don't thing the "scores" in this thread are meant to be played -- but I could be wrong!

Reply #13
George Crumb's "Ancient Voices of Children" is quite thin, but it's too big to fit on a normal music stand!
In that score, my favorite piece is "De donde vienes, amor, mi nino?", which does have a circle like that.  The whole piece also has a very nice percussion section including Tibetian prayer stones, and the pianist gets to play not only an amplified piano, but also a toy piano.
Somewhere in the piece, the pianist puts the petal down as the singer sings into the piano.
Still, they're a lot easier than these.
And if you look at early George Crumb, such as "Three Early Songs", you'll find that it's just a piano/vocal part.
And then there are scores for piano roll.

Reply #14
And, no, I don't thing the "scores" in this thread are meant to be played -- but I could be wrong!

I should hope not. my objection with these pieces is not that they're immpossible to play but that the make a mockery of music

Reply #15
C'mon, folks, don't you recognize an over-the-top joke when you see one?  Perhaps it's a test to detect taking ourselves too seriously.

Reply #16
touche

Reply #17
Well, yes. A musical indication like "Remove cattle from stage" can hardly be taken seriously.
And a rest of ... how many weeks was it? neither.
All good fun. I loved it.

Reply #18
Release the penguins.
Cool timpani with small fan.

I don't know about y'all, but that sounds a lot easier than Bach.

Reply #19
i dunno, i'm pretty sure Bach used "release the penguins" in the dorian toccata

Reply #20
I meant his violin concertos...his organ stuff is pretty easy.