Skip to main content
Topic: User Tools and the Registry (Read 14516 times) previous topic - next topic

User Tools and the Registry

NWC2 stores a wealth of information in the Registry. VBScript and JScript can read and write this information. Unfortunately, NWC2 doesn't fully update changes exept when NWC2 is opened or closed.

If NWC2 would fully update before and after running a User Tool, the capabilities of User Tools could be greatly expanded. A Tool could:
  • configure the Editor
  • take action based on the current song title
  • take action based on the current song filename

Another limit to User Tools is that the Tool doesn't know if the clip represents a selection of:
  • nothing
  • the entire staff
  • the beginning of staff
  • a partial staff
nor does it know where the cursor is.

If this info could be passed in the clip, User Tools could be more flexible in their actions.
If a Tool knows that it has the beginning of a staff, it knows it has the context (TimeSig, Key, Clef), and can do many more things with confidence.
Registered user since 1996

Re: User Tools and the Registry

Reply #1
I do support these ideas, though they would cause incompatibilities with the current system, perhaps if there was something in the script saying if it was "old" or "new".
And if only the starter kit came with something other than PHP... (sigh)

Reply #2
And if only the starter kit came with something other than PHP... (sigh)
VBScript and JavaScript are built into Windows with free updates from M$.
Examples are here, in the beta newsgroup and in the Scrpto.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
G'day Kahman,
I, too, support these ideas.

RE starter kit - just 'cos the kit uses php doesn't mean you are limited to using php.  Rick has many tools written in VBScript, some released here in the Forum and others in the NG.

I have many tools in my collection by many authors written in various languages:
php (of course)
vbscript
perl
even an executable... (Notewhizzy which copies articulations, rhythm, slurs, dynamics etc. from one bar to the bars after it.)

Anything that can parse text from stdin and output via stdout and stderr as a "console mode program" (they run on the command line, not via a graphical user interface) will do...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Read my post as:
I only know one computer language and if I'm too lazy to learn a second one, so I won't share any tools!  ;-)