Skip to main content
Topic: Lyric bug? (Read 4130 times) previous topic - next topic

Lyric bug?

I've got a situation where the lyric refuses to put a word in the right place on a measure:

There's a repetition of a word held for two bars 5 times, 10 bars total, with slightly different double note chords on each repetition, but the lyric will not put one of the words under one of the measures, the 7th.

I've looked at settings for the lyrics and the measure but can't see any reason why it should be skipped. I've also deleted and reinserted the lyric and the initial chord.

Frank

Re: Lyric bug?

Reply #1
Although I understand your problem, the given information is not sufficient.  Can you please post it here?

Reply #2
Frank, check the Lyric Syllable settings for note properties in the offending bars.   It may be you're trying to anchor a lyric to a chord with a note set to "never."

Reply #3
There isn't something silly like a slur from the preceeding bar is there?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Kahman: I have no idea what else you need to know to clarify my question.

David: the Lyric Syllable is set to "default", the same as all of the rest of the staff.

Frank, check the Lyric Syllable settings for note properties in the offending bars.   It may be you're trying to anchor a lyric to a chord with a note set to "never."

Frank

Reply #5
What I mean is that the notes in question may have certain properties that would make them not display a lyric syllable.  So we can see these, I'd like a copy to be posted.  (At least the offending bars.)

Reply #6
Kahman:

I'd post the example, if I knew how and where. Do you want to see my screen shot or the program language? If the latter, how do I get it? I can link to a website that has some of my photos for a temporary place to post it.

I did check the note properties for the problem measure and everything is set to default, the same as the preceding and succeeding measures.

The situation is this: there are 5 repeats of a single word by the same voice held for two bars each time in the score (2 whole notes, tied across the bar line), but if I put 5 repeats of the word in the lyric line, it shifts the subsequent measures of lyrics out of alignment and skips the 4th pair of measures! That staff is not layered.

Thanks,

Frank

Reply #7
This is in the NWC2 form, you should be able to do a Ctrl-C from the program and paste it directly onto the forum.  It would also be nice to see the surrounding measures and the lyrics (pasted separately), as it may be in lyric text processing.

Reply #8
Ok guys,
Frank has, at my request, emailed me the offend section so I can post it for others to see.

I was also able to resolve it!

The real problem lies in bar 4 where the destination of the ties from bar 3 is a note rather than a chord.  This means that one of the ties is not properly resolved.

The solution is to make the note a chord the same as bar 6.

I.E.:
|Chord|Dur:Whole|Pos:-5|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:Whole|Pos2:-5

instead of:

|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-5
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #9
Thanks, Lawrie,

As usual with my problems (mostly), it has to do with trying to copy the manuscript exactly and the composer's shortcuts just don't translate to this medium.

I am getting there. I actually finished a shorter, easier one the other day with only a couple of dozen errors that my copy editor (read wife) found.

All help is appreciated, please just wait for the screaming and hair-pulling to subside.

Frank