Skip to main content
Topic: Bar lines through all staves (Read 10223 times) previous topic - next topic

Bar lines through all staves

I have a score of 5 staves, 3 upper are Grand Staves and the 2 lower are SA and TB. The original composer has all bar lines going across all the staves and I can't figure out how to do that with NWC2 beta. I got the 3 upper Grands connected by making some hidden layered staffs Orchestral, but I can't get the lower 2 to connect up and there are gaps in bar lines above staff 4.  So there is a gap between 3 and 4 with extended bar lines sticking up.

I tried adding a hidden layered staff of 0 lines between the 3 Grands and the 2 Orchestrals, but it didn't work no matter if it was Standard or Orchestral.

The problem looks like I can't give the lowest Grand Staff or a staff layered with it, properties that will allow it to extend the bar lines down to meet staff 4.

Your help is appreciated,

Frank

Re: Bar lines through all staves

Reply #2
Thanks for the try, but that requires a limited space above and below the staff that I can't accommodate with lyrics below and dynamic marks above and below to clearly mark split soprano and bass chorus lines with different dynamics.

Frank

Reply #3
... that requires a limited space above and below the staff that I can't accommodate with lyrics below and dynamic marks above and below ...
Lyrics and dynamcs are not bounded by the staff, just by your imagiaton.

Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
NJF, if Rick's second example still doesn't meet your needs, can you scan an example as a GIF image and attach it to your reply? You could circle the bits you can't replicate with NWC2.   A picture is worth a thousand words. 

Reply #5
can you scan an example as a GIF image and attach it to your reply?
Probably not. I think you have to be at least a(n) NWC2 Tester to do attachments.

Reply #6
He's using version 2.  Doesn't that make him a tester?

Reply #7
G'day David,
if you look at Frank's status it say's he's a member.  He may not have gone the status upgrade path yet...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
Probably not. I think you have to be at least a(n) NWC2 Tester to do attachments.

You could use [img] tags and upload your image to photobucket.com or imageshack.us

Reply #9
To Rick G.:

My imagination balks at having the bars, notes, dynamics and lyrics run all over each other! The music is fairly complex with 4 or 5 voices singing different lyrics simultaneously at times and the chorus bass and soprano also split sometimes with different lyrics and dynamics. It needs room!

I'm only interested in putting out paper copies, so the various relationships are critical and the small staves needed to make the suggestion work are just too crowded for my taste.

I have solved some of the problem: the Grand Staves are properly connected and the Chorus staves are, too, they're just no connected together, but I think we can live with that.

As an aside, I also have gotten the printout into Photoshop, as high quality JPEG files to save space, and the printout is excellent. Too bad it is so much more work: from NWC2, preview/copy to clipboard; paste into Atlantis word processor (slow graphic handling of the huge NWC2 file, even at the printer's lowest setting of 360dpi); reduce color quality to 2 colors; save as JPEG; open with Photoshop; resize to reasonable photo-quality output (letter size, 300dpi grayscale file); then print one page at a time. But, at least, once in Photoshop I can manipulate the graphic file to my heart's content and remove all the duplicate and conflicting marks.

Thanks to all for all of your help,

Frank

Reply #10
He's using version 2.  Doesn't that make him a tester?

I'm a tester, too...but we have two or three people sharing the same copy in my house, and I'm not the one with the NWC2 Tester title...

Reply #11
All this ranking stuff confuses me. 

NJF, sounds like a lot of work.  Can you just do a screen capture (bmp), and load that into your graphics program, then save that as your jpg,  instead of all the extra steps?  Or have you got it down to a routine now?

Reply #12
Screen caps look awful. If you really need quality, install GhostScript and RedMon. This will create a virtual PostScript printer that will save the output to a file. I have it configured to produce 300dpi b&w multipage tiffs. A sample of the output is here (attached as pedal.gif).

Plan to spend at least a day to figure out how to install and configure GhostScript and RedMon. I did it so long ago that I can't be much help.

I currently use a User Tool for printing to file, but it is even more machine dependent than RedMon.

Reply #13
David Palmquist and RickG:

Rick is right about the quality of screen captures, 72 dpi is the pits for printing! I'm looking for 300 dpi quality so that I can get good reproduction, even if that means photocopies of my masters.

RickG: PDF files require full-on Acrobat for editing (I'm not only printing from Photoshop, I'm correcting some things NWC2 doesn't do well, like setting up the pages) and I already have Photoshop which I am thoroughly familiar with for my photographic exhibition prints, so that's a no-brainer for me - I don't need another Adobe headache! That also obviates the need for GhostScript and RedMon. My kludgy workaround is a pain, but, at least, I don't have to get and learn any more software.

My method is functional, but not nearly as good as if NWC2 actually output a graphic image file for editing and printing. Also, because of some of the, shall we say "unfelicitous", ways NWC2 handles graphics (see another post realted to that), straight output is not acceptable for this complex score. Or even some of the less complex ones I've got to do.